PDA

View Full Version : Japaneese Central Bank Buys $67 Billion in US Dollars in January, 2004

adios
02-11-2004, 08:08 AM
That's right $67 billion to intervence on the Yen's behalf. Of course there's no way they can keep buying US $ at that pace, at least I don't think so. From the article in the WSJ:

The Bank of Japan last month spent a record $67 billion to support the dollar to shield its export-dependent economy. Much of those proceeds are recycled into Treasurys.

Yep most of the US $ purchased buy US debt. At that pace it will finance the US budget deficit and then some (do these guys want to buy munis I wonder?). I've also read somewhere that the Japaneese are buying Mortgage Backed Securities as well (the MBS market is BIGGER than the Treasury market BTW). I saw that stats on new car sales either in December or January (can't remember which) and Nissan and Toyota are selling far more vehicles than American car manufacturers FWIW. We're not even talking about how much the Chineese are spending to prop up their currency. As well as other countries. The Eurozone hasn't gotten into the "swing of things" yet but lots of speculation that they will.

Weak Dollar Keeps Rewarding U.S. Bond Market

By BRIAN BLACKSTONE
DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW YORK -- Euro-zone officials seemed to score a victory at the weekend meeting of the Group of Seven industrialized nations, securing a warning against volatile currency moves.

That is, until financial markets second-guessed them Monday, giving the nod to the U.S., whose bond market and economy continue to reap the rewards of a weak dollar.

By continuing to exert downward pressure on the U.S. currency, investors ensure that foreign central banks will remain heavy buyers of U.S. Treasurys. The U.S. benefits, as a soaring budget deficit stimulates growth, a weak currency spurs exports, and low yields encourage consumer demand.

"The U.S. is definitely winning -- no doubt about it," said Richard Gilhooly, senior bond strategist at BNP Paribas in New York.

Treasurys also gained Monday on some further buying after Friday's weaker-than-expected jobs report. At 4 p.m., the benchmark 10-year note was up 8/32 point, or $2.50 per $1,000 face value, at 101 17/32. Its yield fell to 4.058% from 4.089% Friday, as yields move inversely to prices.

The 30-year bond was up 11/32 point at 107 1/32 to yield 4.904%, down from 4.925% Friday.

Finance ministers of the seven major industrialized nations issued a statement that seemed to address European complaints about the extent of the euro's rise against the dollar. It said that "excess volatility and disorderly movements in exchange rates are undesirable for economic growth."

If successful, that call would likely have been a negative for Treasurys and would have disrupted the delicate balance of currency and bond-market forces that are expected to fuel 4% to 4.5% gross domestic product growth in the U.S. -- twice the rates hoped for in Japan and Europe.

Yet the dollar saw no reprieve Monday, and fetched close to historic lows against the euro and 3½-year lows against the yen, ensuring that the U.S.'s virtuous dollar and fixed-income cycle will continue.

The G-7 communique, which also stressed the importance of flexible currency markets, was "an indication that [Asian central banks] should continue [to buy Treasurys], and it helps hold down yields," Mr. Gilhooly added.

The Bank of Japan last month spent a record $67 billion to support the dollar to shield its export-dependent economy. Much of those proceeds are recycled into Treasurys.

Foreign central banks "are the biggest marginal buyer [of Treasurys], and in many cases, it's the marginal buyer that has the swing vote in prices," said Robert Gay, global strategist at Commerzbank Securities in New York.

Along with Japan, Asian countries such as China have been forced to buy U.S. bonds to keep their currencies in line with the dollar. Judging by overnight intervention by monetary authorities in Japan, China, Taiwan and South Korea -- on the first trading day after the G-7 gathering -- there is little hint that this policy will lose its popularity.

Intervention could even spread beyond Asia to Europe. With initial jawboning attempts having failed, Europeans are left with two options to boost the dollar against the euro: cut rates or intervene.

The former would have the most durable effect, say analysts at French investment bank CDC IXIS. They see the G-7 statement as "euro positive," removing the last obstacle to the euro's reaching $1.30. It fetched just under $1.27 Monday. That would in turn be a plus for euro-zone debt if it spurred a half-point reduction in European Central Bank rates, CDC IXIS said.

Still, rate cuts seem unlikely in the near term. ECB officials have shown no desire to cut rates from 2% -- which is twice the level set by the Federal Reserve -- despite the rising euro. The ECB has stressed that the recovery is under way and that rising global growth will benefit the region's economy.

Yet ECB dollar buying seems back on the table as an option, which, if it materializes, would give still another lift to Treasurys and the U.S. economy.

"It seems it would make the most sense to hold the course on what you think is the right [monetary] policy and squash foreign-exchange speculation by intervening," Mr. Gay said. "None of this bodes for much higher U.S. long rates anytime soon."

Updated February 9, 2004 8:25 p.m.

MMMMMM
02-11-2004, 11:58 AM
The weak dollar certainly does help in many ways, but doesn't it also hurt us significantly in other less obvious ways? I don't recall much about this right now having once read about it in the 80's. Actually I think I read an explanation of why the long-term effects of a weak dollar may even do more harm to the U.S. economy and financial position than are conferred by the short-term benefits. There might also have been something about how it even hurts manufacturing and the auto industry in the long-term (although obviously it helps the auto industry in the short-term). Wish I could recall the specifics but I can't at the moment so maybe jokerswild is right and I am getting Alzheimer's in my early 40's. If you could comment it would be helpful. Thanks.

adios
02-11-2004, 12:54 PM
It's hard to say how low is too low but the Japaneese and the Chineese to name two are actually proping up the value of the US $ with their interventionist policy. Good news for the US consummer in that they are buying Japaneese and Chineese products at artificially lower prices. The U.S. is currently financing it's deficit at multi year low interest rates. A combination of economic growth and cuts in government spending could conceivably allow the US to purchase this debt back at lower prices (higher interest rates) thus making a profit or at least costing very little. Unlikely this will happen as the Treasuries have durations of 10 years or less. FWIW I think the Japaneese and the Chineese are taking big economic risks. I find it interesting how their fate economically is so dependent on how the US fares economically. BTW there is a monster rally in Treasuries under way today.

ThaSaltCracka
02-11-2004, 02:21 PM
I thought the Japanese had the Yen adjusted to whatever the US dollar does?

ThaSaltCracka
02-11-2004, 02:23 PM
BTW there is a monster rally in Treasuries under way today
are you refering to Treasury Bonds?

adios
02-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Yep. Out of curiosity would you buy a 10 year Treasury Bond yielding 4.0% or a five year yielding a little less than 3%? Those are what they're going for today.

adios
02-11-2004, 02:55 PM
The Japaneese Yen has has been slowly appreciating against the US $. The Chineese Yuan is pegged to the value of the $ and in order to maintain the peg, they buy US $. The Bush administration has been urging the Chineese to let their currency float so that it will also appreciate against the US $.

ThaSaltCracka
02-11-2004, 03:43 PM
The Japaneese Yen has has been slowly appreciating against the US $. The Chineese Yuan is pegged to the value of the $ and in order to maintain the peg, they buy US $. The Bush administration has been urging the Chineese to let their currency float so that it will also appreciating against the US $.
this all seems like good news for American Manufactures. You also forgot to mention how this affects the U.S. trade deficit, I believe it also effects inflation, all though I cannot quite remember how right now, maybe you could answer that.

ThaSaltCracka
02-11-2004, 03:46 PM
Yep. Out of curiosity would you buy a 10 year Treasury Bond yielding 4.0% or a five year yielding a little less than 3%? Those are what they're going for today.
okay now your putting me on the spot, I forgot a lot of from my econ class, but I think which one you want would relate to where inflation is or is going, is that right?
your going to have to give me some time to answer this one.
BTW, I am not avoiding the economy stupid thread, its a long story as to why I didn't reply yet, but I will. I will give you a sneak peak though ..... venture capitalists...... check in with that one later.