PDA

View Full Version : For those with much pokerreading behind....

Jimbolito
02-11-2004, 06:33 AM
Didn´t get any response at Books\Software, so I´ll try here instead.

I´ve played fixed hold´em for a couple of months now. Doin´ alright so far.
I have really study the game and so far I´ve read 3 books.

WLLHE by Lee Jones
Winning Strategies from an Internet Pro by Matthew Hilger
The Pokerhandbook (probably unknown for most of you)

And my game has improved much since I´ve read theese books. But now I´m thinkin´ of buyin
some more, and want your opinions about what you think is propely for lowlimit.

I´m certainly goin to get ToP. But then, what do u think?
Many here on 2+2 tellin "rookies" to get HEPFAP, but as far as I can see this book is written for middlelimit Hold´em, and not lowlimit. Soo why say something like that?
I´m playin 0.5-1 Paradise right now, and I´m tellin u, WLLHE is almost to advanced for thoose games. At least my opinion.

Heard that Sklansky and Malmuth´s comin out with a new book written for lowlimit, should I wait for that one? Anyone know when it´s comin by the way?

But anyway, recommendations from u who have a lot of reading behind u and got a lot to compare with.
Would be nice with a short recension of each recomendation. + and -.

Fixed Hold´em is gonna be my maingame. But I´m also goin to try out some tournaments soon. So what books for that area?
And does tournamentbooks cover both regular tour:mts and SNG´s?

Also thinkin about exploring No limit further ahead (cant win World Series without that one;)

What´s your opinion about tryin all this? Or should I stay with one game, like fixed? Or is it ok to explore different forms of hold´em when U are new to the game?

\\Jc.

Trix
02-11-2004, 06:52 AM
If you are serius about your game, you will need to read TOP and HPFAP at some point. I know it isnt minded on low limit games, but there are much you can use in there anyway. Sklansky, Malmuth and majorkongs new book should be worth reading too /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lori
02-11-2004, 07:32 AM
Fixed Hold´em is gonna be my maingame

You should keep an open mind for now, some people have much better natural talent in tournaments than others, and you may turn out to be one of those people.

By all means concentrate on the limit game the most, but don't write anything off so early in your learning process.
The key to being a successful gambler is versatility, the more options you have, the more ways you have to make money.

Lori

Joe Tall
02-11-2004, 08:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Heard that Sklansky and Malmuth´s comin out with a new book written for lowlimit, should I wait for that one?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should definately buy the new one when it comes out.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know when it´s comin by the way?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll have to ask Ed Miller (majorkong) about that; I've been wondering myself.

I'd get an account online on a site such as PokerStars and experiment with the micro-limits. For short bankroll you can gain a lot of experience. They have limit games at .02/.04 or .05/.10 and NL games at .02/.04 with a small max-buy-in.

Frankly, it's the best place to learn.

Once you do that, post some hand histories here.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall

Jimbolito
02-11-2004, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd get an account online on a site such as PokerStars and experiment with the micro-limits. For short bankroll you can gain a lot of experience. They have limit games at .02/.04 or .05/.10 and NL games at .02/.04 with a small max-buy-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe got me wrong, have played for a little while. Started at Stars 02/.04 and moved up, and when I came to 0.5-1 I started to play at Paradise because theres more tables active at this limit.

But anyway, anybody havin any book for tournaments that you think would be appropiate for a lowlimitplayer who only have played in cashgames? And does this books cover SNG´s to?

Tournament Poker for Advanced Players is maybe not good to start with....?

But Sylvester Suzukis book? Anything worth read?

Joe Tall
02-11-2004, 09:21 AM
TPFAP is a good way to go. Visit the Tournamet forums also.

I no nothing of Suzuki's book.

My point is more that you should get involved with the forum. Comment on hands and talk about stategy, in addition to reading books.

Peace,
Joe Tall

RickA
02-11-2004, 12:49 PM
FWIW

My second read was HEPFAP and that was a big mistake. granted I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but until you have a firm grasp of the fundamentals I think the concepts in that book are not going to improve your micro limits results. Personally I would read TOP for sure and one more basics book before tackling HEPFAP. The other thing I would recommend is replying to the posts. Posting is one thing but when you have to voice your opinion it forces you to think on a much deeper level. It seems funny to me because most of the players I am replying to are probably better players but it is helpful.

Good Luck
RIckA

Ed Miller
02-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know when it´s comin by the way?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll have to ask Ed Miller (majorkong) about that; I've been wondering myself.

No comment. /images/graemlins/cool.gif