PDA

View Full Version : 10-20 Party / JJ

Nate tha' Great
02-11-2004, 01:46 AM
I've just sat down at the table and don't have too many good reads; Button seems rather loose but that's about it. Don't know BB at all, but in general, 6-max players will 3-bet with a wider range of hands before the flop than ring game players will.

Party Poker 10/20 (5 handed)
NateThaGreat has J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is SB

UTG limps, CO(poster) checks, Button limps, NateThaGreat raises, BB 3-bets, UTG calls, CO(poster) folds, Button calls, NateThaGreat caps, BB calls, UTG calls, Button calls

Flop(17 SB): 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

NateThaGreat bets, BB raises, UTG folds, Button folds, NateThaGreat calls

Turn(10 1/2 BB): 5/images/graemlins/club.gif

NateThaGreat checks, BB bets, NateThaGreat calls

River(12 1/2 BB): Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif

NateThaGreat checks, BB bets, NateThaGreat calls

====

The pot is huge (by 6-max standards) before the flop. So I bet out hoping that BB would raise so I can get the hand heads up and get to a showdown as cheaply as possible. I might be ahead, I might not, but I'm happy to take my chances.

Anyone else play it different? I hate defaulting into check-call mode ... it feels so wrong ... but in this case, there was no way that I was folding, and I didn't see what raising him out of position would accomplish once he'd raised me on the flop.

Garland
02-11-2004, 02:25 AM
It kind of depends on what BB is capable of 3-betting on against which opponents. For example, I know I'd 3-bet with as low as pocket 77s against someone who has already raised and is very capable of raising with 2 big cards, suited connectors or just simply junk to try to get it heads up. It's almost a certainly that BB has a pocket pair, but which one?

With the flop, and turn it's virtually impossible to tell whether he has 88, 99, 1010 (or lower??), which you beat or QQ, KK, AA, which beat you. So checkcalling is fine. May the best hand win!

Garland

Pipedream
02-11-2004, 03:15 AM
I like the play throughout and would probably play it the exact same way.

Pipedream

elysium
02-11-2004, 03:28 AM
hi nate
assuming this was a live game, you played it fine.

Ulysses
02-11-2004, 04:08 AM
3-betting the flop and/or betting the turn would be fine too. Actually, I'd do one of those before going into check-call mode.

SA125
02-11-2004, 10:15 AM
"So I bet out hoping that BB would raise so I can get the hand heads up and get to a showdown as cheaply as possible. I might be ahead, I might not, but I'm happy to take my chances."

Good move.