PDA

View Full Version : David Ross Hand #2 (another quick preflop question)

ZeeJustin
02-11-2004, 12:29 AM
Very next hand, folded to David in the SB with Q7o, he folds.

Ulysses
02-11-2004, 01:56 AM

Schneids
02-11-2004, 01:57 AM
Raise (especially if you have folded your BB previously in your first hand at the table, the BB this hand may have noticed you mucked to a blind steal and give your raise this hand more credit). Definitely worth a play though.

Robk
02-11-2004, 02:01 AM
Just realized what your picture is... dork. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nate tha' Great
02-11-2004, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise (especially if you have folded your BB previously in your first hand at the table, the BB this hand may have noticed you mucked to a blind steal and give your raise this hand more credit). Definitely worth a play though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, dude. When I'm the BB, I *love* SB's who open-raise with hands like Q7 offsuit. Position, position, position.

Schneids
02-11-2004, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, dude. When I'm the BB, I *love* SB's who open-raise with hands like Q7 offsuit. Position, position, position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I'll throw these points out then drift away into the wayside and see if I stand alone.

1) There's a chance David takes the pot w/o a flop. This chance increases based on his table image.
2) If, in this case, David has no table image, the raise can be win-win no matter what. Either he takes the pot quickly, or he makes some sort of 2nd best hand and immediately gets labeled loose. Which, for David, would definitely help his long term winnings since I suspect his big hands do not receive as much action as some of ours do and his bets generally get more respect than ours.
3) David is not a significant underdog most of the times he fails to steal a hand. Q7o is still a much better hand than a lot of BB's defend with, even if he has to play it out of position.

Basically, there's still a large chance the BB will not get to see what David tried to steal with, and even if the BB does get to, then David still has the luxury to use against the BB what the BB thinks he has learned about David's playing tendencies.

Alright, I concede, maybe Q7o is not high enough of a raising hand out of position.

stripsqueez
02-11-2004, 04:33 AM
in practice i definately raise this hand some of the time - the rest i fold it

i like to limp in the first time i am heads up in the SB almost regardless of my holding - i figure this is a good way to gauge how good my opponent is and help decide what to do on future occasions

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

bigpooch
02-11-2004, 05:03 AM
Wow, fold this and most players would love to be the BB when
it gets folded to David Ross! If he doesn't play this, the
BB should just play much tighter in the BB versus a preflop
raise.

So what IS he going to play in the SB? There aren't a lot
of hands better than Q7o: that means he is just giving up a
lot of SB situations (too many IMHO). Have to at least call
with this and the normal play must be to raise (it's better
than even money to be best preflop but yeah yeah, position
position yada yada yada).

The Gift Of Gab
02-11-2004, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There aren't a lot of hands better than Q7o

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this isn't what we're talking about, but I think Q7o has close to 50% equity against a random hand.

If the BB is timid and folds a lot on the flop I'll raise.

If he's loose-passive I'll usually call.

When I openlimp-call-check-fold from the SB my testosterone level crashes, so I might dump this against the type who think they have to win every pot. This could be a mistake.

daryn
02-11-2004, 10:25 AM
ha.. your post made me actually look at his picture.. previously i had thought it to be some sort of fishtank.

Joe Tall
02-11-2004, 12:04 PM
And your question is.....what? Exactly?

Oh, maybe it's praise, good fold.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Nottom
02-13-2004, 03:08 PM
I'd fold unless the BB was particularly tight.

Inthacup
02-13-2004, 03:49 PM
80% of the time, I fold this. I'll occasionally raise when I'm running over the table because most times BB will fold whilst shuddering in fear.

Cup

serling
02-13-2004, 06:22 PM
I would've raised to try to steal. I also would've clicked raise as fast as possible, so it looked as if I'd checked "Raise Any" rather than waiting for everyone to fold.

I've noticed many will protect their blinds vigorously, reraising with any number of hands (and certainly any Ace). The first time, I'd have to call them down to see what they were defending with. And then hopefully I'd have that information for future blind plays.

serling

Lunamondo
02-13-2004, 06:30 PM
Under reasonable conditions playing Q7 for $3 ($2 SB?) might make money.