PDA

View Full Version : Just sat down...

Raiser
02-10-2004, 06:30 PM
and posted in the CO. No reads. Should I have played it differently?

Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed)
Hero has 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is CO

UTG limps, EP1 limps, EP2 limps, MP2 limps, MP3 limps, Hero(poster) checks, Button folds, SB limps, BB checks

Flop(8 SB): 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets, BB calls, UTG folds, EP1 calls, EP2 folds, MP2 raises, MP3 folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls, EP1 calls

Turn(9 BB): K/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, BB checks, EP1 checks, MP2 bets, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls, EP1 folds

River(12 BB): Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, BB calls, MP2 calls

Thanks in advance.

Trix
02-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Looks good to me.

ike
02-10-2004, 06:59 PM
3 bet the flop, pair and a flush draw is a great hand to pump on the flop and you want the option of a free card on the turn. Take a free card if you don't improve and they check on the turn. When you make your flush on the turn, raise.
Imagining better flushes out there is seeing monsters, but there could easily be a naked A K (until the turn) or Q of spades, probably with a 10. This is another key reason to 3 bet the flop, you don't want an ace (or king or queen) of spades to see the turn at which point they will have odds on their redraw and cost you money. Don't slow down until the 4th spade hits, at that point you can probably just call a bet, though since it was the queen and gave you the second nut a raise would not be absurd either. I think you probably left a lot of bets on the table here.

spamuell
02-10-2004, 07:13 PM
I would have 3-bet the flop. Everyone behind you is already in for one bet, they're very likely to call more, you're getting a huge overlay on your pair and flush draw.

I would also have raised the turn, rather than going for overcalls, people who are planning on calling one will likely call 2. You will probably get more money in the pot with a raise.

River play is good.

fluff
02-10-2004, 07:19 PM
If you think that 3 betting on the flop will drop people out (and I think most of the time it will, even party fish often have the good sense not to call 2 cold with crap), then your cold call is fine.

I would definitely pop in a raise on the turn though.

bisonbison
02-10-2004, 07:22 PM
I'd go for the call on the flop. I think it's close between calling and raising the turn.

Scare card on the river, even if it makes clear you have the 2nd nuts. Good bet.

spamuell
02-10-2004, 08:20 PM
even party fish often have the good sense not to call 2 cold with crap

If they haven't put any money into the pot yet, I completely agree, but once someone has either bet out or called a bet, I find they usually call any number of bets after that (maybe not 3 cold) on the flop. Maybe you shouldn't raise if you think the SB is likely to cap, because surely that will get some people to fold.

toddw8
02-10-2004, 10:05 PM
I think it's close whether to 3bet or call the flop here. With no reads I'd probably just call in this situation.

I definitely raise the turn, though.

Joe Tall
02-11-2004, 08:31 AM
Why didn't you raise the turn?

With all those callers surely you could have grabbed mutiple bets not that you have made your hand.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Trix
02-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Why not go for the overcall with 3 players behind him?

Joe Tall
02-11-2004, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not go for the overcall with 3 players behind him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh shoot, Trix, I thought someone from EP bet and he had multiple callers in front of him. I read these fast at work and I also type 60 WPM so I just jam-stuff out.

Over calls are fine on the turn.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Zetack
02-11-2004, 10:09 AM
I think it was well played. A flop raise undboubtedly knocks out some or all of those players out, as does a turn raise with the made hand. The king of spades is not scary once every one has checked to you in last position. The Ace almost certainly would have bet into you so you have to bet the river--as you did.

--Zetack

Raiser
02-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Well, it's not unanimous, but I'd say a fair number think I played it correctly. The main reason I posted this hand was for the turn play. Normally I'd raise, but this time I decided to try a new approach to get more money in the pot. I understand some people's objections to this play. I'm allowing better singleton spades a shot at drawing out on me.

Thanks for the comments.

Joe Tall
02-11-2004, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The main reason I posted this hand was for the turn play. Normally I'd raise, but this time I decided to try a new approach to get more money in the pot. I understand some people's objections to this play. I'm allowing better singleton spades a shot at drawing out on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I've re-read the post you have played it well. As for the whole, "draw-out" for a larger spade, don't you think the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif is calling 3-bets cold if he had too? Going for the over-calls is correct.

3-betting the flop is the only other way to play it, if you don't want to give up your hand by cold-calling. However, being how non-observant micro-onliners are, I'd say that does not matter.

Peace,
Joe Tall