PDA

View Full Version : How badly played was this?

Illininate
02-10-2004, 06:00 PM
Party Poker 1/2 (10 handed)
One of the loosest tables I've seen at the 1/2 level in a long time.. people calling 2 or 3 cold preflop routinely, and almost the whole table had a mindset of "I'm going to call all the way to the river with anything remotely resembling a draw and then fold when I don't hit." In a word: wonderful.

Hero has 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and is SB

UTG limps, EP1 limps, MP2 limps, MP3 limps, Button folds, Hero limps, BB checks

With all the limpers, I thought this was a pretty easy complete from the SB.

Flop(6 SB): 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, EP1 checks, MP2 bets, MP3 calls, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls, EP1 calls

Huge pot, OESD, pretty easy call, IMO.

Turn(5 1/2 BB): J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Bingo, hit the straight.. now I'll check-raise:

Hero checks, UTG checks, EP1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks

Doh!

River(5 1/2 BB): A /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero checks, UTG checks, EP1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks

Would have definitely bet out here if this wasn't a spade, but with all these people in.. Guess I just wussed out.

I'd like to know what ya'll think of my turn play. At the time, I was torn between betting out or going for the check raise. As I looked at it, if I got the check-raise in, I'd put anyone with spades in a position to have to make an incorrect call (pot-odds-wise) to try and catch, and since the table was so loose, I thought there was a good chance I'd get a couple of cold callers. If I'd have bet out, I figured I was almost certain to get 3 or 4 callers, all probably having the odds to try and catch.

Also, should I have bet the river out?

Results later..

Thanks,

Nate

bisonbison
02-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Bet the flop. Bet the turn. Bet the river.

Trix
02-10-2004, 06:08 PM
Bet flop and take it from there.

Henke
02-10-2004, 06:40 PM
I agree with the other posters, just wanted to say that it seems as though you got hit by FPS on the turn (fancy play syndrome). /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually, checkraising is the worst option (IMHO). If MP2 would bet, MP3 call and you raise, there would be 9.5 big bets in the pot, which gives BB 4.75:1 in pot-odds. So the flushdraw could still call! Even another OESD (like Qx) would have odds to call. The only hands you can and want to drive out are AK and two-pair (fh-draws), which are getting bad odds even if you just bet out (although I don't see loose players folding a two-pair for a turn bet or c/r). If you bet out, you're also more likely to trap hands like Jx, Tx and 9x for an extra bet (which they wouldn't have called if they knew what you had).

Illininate
02-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the reply.

As I wrote it up, it seemed more and more to me that betting out on the turn probably was best. I guess that's why writing up hands is helpful /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Illininate
02-10-2004, 06:51 PM
Opponents turned over various crappy holdings, all amounting to Ace-high, and MHIG.

I was just wondering about betting out the flop. I generally would have bet a flush draw or a straight/flush draw, but it never occured to me to bet just an OES draw. I guess that's partly because I've grown accustomed to playing tighter games at 1/2, where over my past 8,000 hands or so the average number of players seeing the flop is about 3.4. If there were only 2 others instead of 5 others, would check/call have been appropriate?

Thanks,

Nate

Henke
02-10-2004, 07:05 PM
If there were only 2 others instead of 5 others, would check/call have been appropriate?

Yes, if you don't think a bet will make them fold.

Henke
02-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Sometimes when I go through my hand histories, it feels like /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. But it sure helps! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shawsy
02-10-2004, 07:15 PM
That's sound advice.

On the turn, you made your straight, but not the nut straight, and you had a flush draw to contend with. Giving them a free draw (infinite odds) is a lot worse than making them call a bet, even if they are getting the right odds.