PDA

View Full Version : Bet this flop or go for the check-raise?

bdk3clash
02-10-2004, 03:58 PM
SSIA. Table has been loose and passive (check out the preflop action.) Bet out or go for the check-raise?

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
bdk3clash has K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is SB

EP1(poster) checks, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, MP3 limps, CO(poster) checks, Button limps, bdk3clash raises, BB calls, EP1(poster) folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO(poster) folds, Button calls

Flop(14 SB): A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

bdk3clash...

mmanne
02-10-2004, 04:00 PM
I bet out, hope for the raise, and then check-raise the turn. There don't seem to be many draws to that board, so not many will be trying for a free card.

Mike Gallo
02-10-2004, 04:12 PM
Joe Strumer,

Why would you check raise instead of leading out and giving someone an opportunity to raise you?

scotnt73
02-10-2004, 04:16 PM
you should bet. as the preflop raiser they are expecting it. youll look more suspicious(s?) in this hand not betting out.

FR_Mainiac
02-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Another option is to just call preflop from the small blind instead of raising into 9 players with the worst position.

Alobar
02-10-2004, 04:56 PM
I bet out, I'd be too worried that on a passive table that was raised pre flop (by me) that it would get checked through.

chesspain
02-10-2004, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another option is to just call preflop from the small blind instead of raising into 9 players with the worst position.

[/ QUOTE ]

YUCK...how can you not pump the pot with SUITED Big Slick, regardless of position.

FR_Mainiac
02-10-2004, 07:08 PM
It's not something I generally do as my first instict is to raise.

But....Say you pull everyone in except for the posters with your raise you will have 18SB in the pot. Calling will leave you with 10SB.

By raising preflop and leading you have given correct odds for essentially every draw to call.

By not raising you give yourself the option to check-raise on an appropriate flop and create three positive things for you. First, you might be able to force many of the callers to cold call 2 when it is incorrect to do so or fold if the lead bet came from a late position. Second, If the lead bet came early position with many callers, you are value betting the hand with a check raise because there is a good chance your odds of winning are greater now than before the flop. Third, you take control of a hand when you have made something which is a lot more desirable than to have control of a hand with 8 people in it with abosolutely nothing other than an unpaired big slick.

Just my thoughts of ways to change things up and definitely something I wouldn't make a habit on doing.

BugsBunny
02-10-2004, 07:10 PM
Agreed. If it was offsuit then simply completing the SB, or checking the BB is viable. Especially against a very large field.
1) It disguises the hand giving you more options postflop
2) You're implied odds aren't hurt (more important for offsuit hands)
3) You're changing things up so you keep people guessing - assuming anyone is paying attention.

So I sometimes raise, sometimes don't (out of the blinds).

But not raising suited big slick is "a crime against humanity" I believe is the quote.

joker122
02-10-2004, 07:24 PM
You're not fooling anyone with a check here. Bet this flop.

smilinjimt
02-10-2004, 07:58 PM
I must be missing something here...I'd bet. With all those hands out there why give one of them a chance to chase you down? Right now I'd be fairly comfortable I'm in the lead, only trips or two pair can beat me right now, and the fact that I have both an ace and a king lowers the odds of someone else having both the remaining two, so that leaves 7's, any holder of which would love a free chance to draw to trips. I probably rule out two pair on the flop because no one took any aggressive action prior to my bet, plus I already have one of the cards left in question. The game is loose and passive...If they want to chase, make'em pay. If someone were to raise me back, fine...I call him and look at the turn. I would then expect the raiser to bet again regardless whether the turn appeared to help him or not. If the turn wasn't a seven or a card that can make a straight for him, I'd reraise. If he comes back over me now then I believe I've become the chaser, but probably to two pair. I'd call. I'd call a bet on the river because at worst it'll cost me one 4 dollar bet. If a king or an ace fell on the river I'd raise his bet, figuring he'll have to get trips to beat me.

Personally, I don't feel a pair of Aces is strong enough to check-raise with. I'd want to play the hand very aggressively in this situation and let someone prove they have a better hand. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike Gallo
02-10-2004, 07:58 PM
CBGB dude, ( I hope you got the other reference)

I disagree with the posters who said you should just complete from the small blind. I think I would always raise with this hand in this spot. I do not like limping here.

I think you should bet out. Checking after you raise looks too cliche. I would check raise the turn, especially if you hit another heart.