PDA

View Full Version : CNN article about the Borgata's strategy. (Atlantic City)

Joe Tall
02-10-2004, 03:11 PM
CNN.com - Borgata (http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/DESTINATIONS/02/10/leisure.borgata.reut/index.html)

Peace,
Joe Tall

RollaJ
02-10-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I usually come here about once a month, and lose $1,000 each time," Goscky, 22, said. --CNN.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like my experience there

Easy E
02-10-2004, 06:48 PM
not you, RollaJ, but to go on CNN and brag about losing that much money on an EXPECTED basis, evidently....

then again, maybe that's free arm-candy advertising- "oh you're THAT Matt Goscky?!?! I didn't know you'd be as handsome as you are smart!""

and I hope the guy plays poker- we could all use his money.

Easy E ( wishing that someday I'm rich enough that it makes sense to brag about being a moron.... and give my name on an international news website )

Mike Gallo
02-10-2004, 07:27 PM
not you, RollaJ, but to go on CNN and brag about losing that much money on an EXPECTED basis, evidently....

Talk about disposable income. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

That means he has $12,000 a year he allocates towards losing. Perhaps he won a $100,000 slot once and now only gambles in moderation. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I know a person who won one of the largest slot machine payoff's in Atlantic City history and gambled it all away. He played often in the pot limit game at the Trop. He sat well funded but underskilled. He would easily lose anywhere between $3,000-$12,000 in that game. When he won, he would win $200-$700. That person has to work as a dealer now.

I think he would also feel proud to give his name.

Different strokes for different folks. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Homer
02-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Man, how many 22 year olds can afford to lose $12,000 a year gambling?

BTW, I always feel like a bum when I walk into that place. Most of the people there are dressed up in outfits that probably cost more than my entire wardrobe. I always wonder where the [censored] all these early-mid twenties people are getting their money, because they sure as hell can't all be smarter than me and my broke self. [/bitterness]

-- Homer

deathtoau
02-10-2004, 07:51 PM
The intention is to sell more beds and raise room rates while keeping a tight lid on costs.

Talk about being customer-focused. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

mosch
02-11-2004, 02:12 AM
Spending money differently than you'd spend it is not, by definition, stupid.

tpir90036
02-11-2004, 02:47 PM
i certainly have an anectode or two about the inflexible service. i have been playing there on a regular basis since they first opened and recently discovered that i had $0.00 on my comp card after all of those hours. "sorry" was all they told me....i wasn't looking for a million dollar handout or anything, a buffet voucher or a free pen would have been enough. instead the lady said "next in line please!" and that was that.

then last weekend they gave my friend a hard time about the poker rate. he booked through the poker room, played his hours and did everything he was supposed to do...but they still charged him the regular rate and told him he didn't book the room correctly....which he did. it took a long time and a lot of running back and forth to get it sorted out since they were too busy to call down to the poker room themselves and get it sorted out. thanks a lot for that guys....

slamdunkpro
02-12-2004, 10:50 AM
The poker room is without a doubt the step child at the Borgata.

My biggest complaint is that everyting at the Borg is designed to be complicated - i.e. getting the poker rate requires 3-5 phone calls

alphamale1
02-12-2004, 02:00 PM
They raised parking from $3 to $5. I now play poker
at Taj and Trop, rarely at Borg anymore.

RollaJ
02-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Funny I got the rate with one call to the poker room, and when I needed to have my mother check in first THEY jumped through some hoops to accomodate US.

Maybe they heard I lose a lot /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mosch
02-12-2004, 04:27 PM
I spent a night at the Borgata a week or two ago, got the poker rate, took one phone call, and I was able to get the whole transaction done while driving from Union Square to the Holland Tunnel.

No hoops involved.

slamdunkpro
02-12-2004, 04:30 PM
You got the base discount right? $100/night. Did you know there are deeper discounts for poker players?

RollaJ
02-13-2004, 11:15 AM
I paid $125 I believe, they said the deeper discounts for extra play are only during weekdays

slavic
02-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Homer -

I always wanted to be a Lawyer because they have nice things. Now that two of my cousins are Lawyers I can tell you yes they have nice things, and they go to nice places. The job kind of requires it for them. But I have more wealth. Outward looks mean little.

slamdunkpro
02-13-2004, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I paid $125 I believe, they said the deeper discounts for extra play are only during weekdays

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect - we got the $39 rate on a Weekend. You have to call the front desk on the day you check out, have them call the poker room and verify your play.

CrackerZack
02-13-2004, 04:05 PM
I also got this, but have been told specifically by the Borgata staff that this is a generosity and not another level of discount.

J.R.
02-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Not all lawyers have nice things...yet.

Seriously, most of the people I work with (outside of those in my small office) are pricks with egos bigger than the room they are in, and I'm not doing super high profile/megabucks stuff. There's a lot more to life than many people are willing to explore, but that is their perogative.

RollaJ
02-13-2004, 05:05 PM
F*** Me I hate getting shafted. I played like 12-14 hours.