PDA

View Full Version : I read, but I don't learn

ChipWrecked
02-10-2004, 02:25 PM
PLO/8 on Stars last night. It was late, I was tired (been nursing sick wife and baby the past few daze), I actually went on full-blown tilt.

"How can you play that crap?! I can't believe you just took down a $40 pot with J962 rainbow! You die now!!!"

Lost my entire $50 Stars deposit.

I quote Badger: "PLO8 is mostly a game of home runs... you aren't looking to hit many doubles."

The burned hand teaches best. Don't draw. Flop it or bail. If you flop it, bet it hard.

Hope I can remember that....

ramjam
02-11-2004, 08:44 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
It was late, I was tired (been nursing sick wife and baby the past few daze)... Lost my entire $50 Stars deposit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I hope they get well soon - and you could obviously do with them out there working asap earning you some $$$ /images/graemlins/smile.gif

chaos
02-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Don't draw.

I disagree. Omaha and Omaha/8 are games of draws. You rarely flop a made nut hand. Also draws can be favorites over made hands. Say you have A23x suited. Surely you want to draw if you flop the nut flush draw along with the nut low draw with counterfeit protection.

ChipWrecked
02-11-2004, 01:53 PM
Thanks, I see your point here. Actually the only reason I stayed alive as long as I did was by pushing allin earlier with A234 and scooping a biggie.

El Dukie
02-12-2004, 02:30 AM
As Chaos mentioned, in Omaha draws are often mathematical favorites over "made" hands. Big wrap str8 draws + backdoor flush potential on a high board, nut-nut draws, etc., are the kinds of hands with which you have to be willing to get your money in the pot. In PL, though, your mathematical favorites will often cost you your entire buy-in. That's poker.

HajiShirazu
02-12-2004, 05:00 AM
I have played PLO for about 15 hours on 2/3 tables, have won probably 200 dollars at it (PL 25) and I have never won all-in preflop with aces. I am either 0 for 7 or 0 for 8. Luckily, there are enough "I call your all in with middle pair" clowns to make up for this.
Anyway, against incredibly bad players, you can just wait to flop the nuts, but as has been said, usually you have to push a strong draw to win against someone who is sane. A lot of the flop all ins end up being something like top two vs a 15-18 out draw, where the draw has a small but significant advantage.

ChipWrecked
02-12-2004, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. I still love Omaha, I'll just practice PLO a little more for pennies.