PDA

View Full Version : "I did it because <xyzplaya> said I should" (rant #3)

Lori
02-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Rant time again.

Before I start, please note that although this post is apparently inspired by a recent post on this board, the rant is not aimed at being derogatory towards that poster (in fact it is meant to help) nor is that poster the reason for this rant.
The rant was coming anyway, just seeing one more post in that ilk speeded up the process.

I try to treat the SS forum as if I am a guest (mainly because I am new to the area and don't know all the hiding places) so no flaming intended, I do have a naturally abrasive style.

Okay, rant #3 begins ....... NOW!

Time and time again on this board, I read about people making incredibly odd plays that even they would not normally make.
Upon questioning, the response is all too often "xyzplaya said you should".

There are many very good players on this forum and equally many very good posters, their knowledge and writing can only help you, but once again, as with my prior two rants, it will only help you if properly applied.

So, there you are, sat at home, content that all the replies to other posts do roughly what you would have done and you are feeling rather smug with yourself.
Suddenly, you open a new thread, and disaster strikes, a respected poster, who you know can play has made a play that is utterly backwards to what you would have done.
Don't panic, just think to yourself "Today is a good day, for I am about to learn something!"

Now, I'm assuming that the poster refered to is in the 95% or higher range for known accurate information, but the concepts will still help even for the good/very good range.

You have a choice as you sit there saying "Wow, new play!".

You can a) copy the play blindly, it must be right

or b) work out why you were previously wrong, or why this is a special case.

Choosing option 'a' will cost you money in the long term, if you would have chosen that, stand at the back and listen closely.

Option b is the correct route here, and different things work for different people. The plan outlined below is just an example of a method that can be used, but if you don't use any methods, I suggest you try it and see if it suits you.

Learning a new play

My favorite approach is the "Prove them wrong" approach, this is very valuable and I recommend you try it.

Tell yourself that you are going to compose a reply that proves the poster wrong. (Actually posting this is not neccessary if you are not that way inclined)
Get a pen and paper (Always the best for learning) and write down every piece of information in the post.
Now look at where the 'weird' play occurs.

Do not try to understand at this point why the play was made, instead put together an argument for why the play was WRONG.
If you are actually thinking, and not just playing like "xyznotquitesogoodplaya" told you to, this process could take up to an hour.
Now read through the original post again.

At this point, you will start to notice things that are unusual.
Possibly there has been something strange occur previously in the pot, or possibly you hadn't noticed that the flop was more dangerous/less dangerous than you first thought, something will be different though.

Now read the post yet again, and this time, for the first time, try to work out what the poster's reasons were for playing that way.

Now compare the likely outcomes of your play versus the likely outcomes of the play as made.
If you are still convinced your play is better, wait a day or so and look at it again.
By now the original poster will have had replies from people of his own level, and if he has made a genuine mistake, he will have either corrected himself or others will have pointed it out.

If you are still unclear, post yourself and explain what you would have done and why, by this time you will be able to form an argument that the original poster will need to find the hole in for you.

The worst that can happen is that you can learn something, and the best that can happen is that you can learn something AND make the original poster think about his own game too.

Application

The first time that this scenario arises after you have worked out your new trick, DON'T use it!

After the hand, immediately send for the HH and read through it with your standard play, and also apply the new trick.

Look through to see if the situation was genuinely the same, or whether there were subtle differences.

Your curiosity should be fairly intense at this point, and this will aid your learning.

After reading through you will suffer one of three emotions.

1) Anger that you played the hand wrongly.

This is great, you have learned and understood a new play, use it from now on.

2) Disappointment that you were so stupid as to have thought the new play applied.

This is still great, you appear to understand your new play.
You might not be ready to use it in battle yet, repeat previous step.

3) Confusion.

This is still good news, you are aware that you are not ready to use the new play yet, and can spend time on fixing a genuine hole in your game.

Until you understand the new play, DO NOT use it, it is more likely to cost you money in the long run if badly applied than it will make you in the instances you guess correctly.

Rant #3 ends.

Lori

J.R.
02-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Do you need a backer?

LetsRock
02-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Good post.

I approach everything I read here with a grain of salt and analyze the "advice" to see how it fits into my game.

I guess not everyone is as cautious.

Bob T.
02-10-2004, 02:42 PM
I don't think you were quite strident enough to make it a rant. But everything you said sure makes a lot of sense.

By the way, your 'ffp customers cause DOS attack' post, makes me want to vist the internet forum more often. Great stuff.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Vehn
02-10-2004, 02:45 PM
Apparently elysium found a new keyboard with a shift key at the same time he stole Lori's log in, but I'll just say something on what the subject is rather than try to respond to this post. This is important so pay close attention:

The main reason a non-fish player continues to play at a certain limit is because they don't have the skill (this word includes simple things such as bankroll management, tilt prevention, etc) to play at the level above it. Therefore its relatively easy to directly qualify someone's hand analysis and advice.

I'm sorry if that offends anyone. (everyone)

Nate tha' Great
02-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Hi Lori,

I like your avatar; we have two of the better avatars on this forum.

Different people learn differently. Me, it's usually something like:

1. Learn something new that I might not have thought of on my own.
2. Apply it incorrectly.
3. Get called an idiot by every respected poster on the forum.
4. Reassess.
5. Apply it correctly, improve my game.

This process costs me anywhere from 2 to 20 BB and quite a few ego points.

Occasionally, you'll come across someone who can pencil and paper something to death, work out the theory before they work out the application. But from early childhood onward, most of us learn through mimicry, through trial and error, and the theory only begins to resonate once we have the experiences to contextualize it.

I would venture to guess that people who are ready, willing and able to make mistakes end up being smarter and more successful than their risk-averse counterparts. I can't speak to my intelligence, or to the quality of my poker game, but I can tell you that I've made a lot of mistakes.

Lori
02-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Hi Nate,

Certainly your approach, my approach or a mix are all equally valid.

A point about the pencil and paper bit.

It doesn't matter if you don't solve the problem, you will still learn something about the game just by trying.

If you are forced to look at the reasons behind either your own plays, or someone elses, you will inevitably learn something.

Your method is also equally true (see rant #1 about reading books) that you can't fix a mistake until you have made it.

I just like to try and work out what the concept I am applying means, rather than learning the situations of by heart.
This will mean, that in time, I can actually invent my own concepts by accident with a better success rate.

Lori

Nate tha' Great
02-10-2004, 03:30 PM
Lori,

I suspect that our learning styles are in fact highly similar. To be silly about it, your approach might be called tight aggressive, in that you seem to have the patience to wait for the right moment before trying something, whereas mine is surely more LAG, but the important thing is that we're thinking about what we're doing. In the long run, it's almost incidental whether the thinking or the doing comes first.

LetsRock
02-10-2004, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the long run, it's almost incidental whether the thinking or the doing comes first.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me, that the "thinking first" approach can be a much cheaper education. You might learn it forever if it cost you 20BB to have it drilled in, but I'd rather try to learn it for free.

Now, if you take your approach against a good computer simulation, you may have a chance to defend the "try first" method as being equal.

BugsBunny
02-10-2004, 05:19 PM
Well the stove should be hot, and I should get burned - that's what my studying has told me will happen when the flame's been on. But I think I'll try to touch it anyway - maybe the theory is wrong. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ouch!! - I really did get burned. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'll remember not to do that again /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Difference between theory and practice.

LetsRock
02-10-2004, 06:10 PM
I always let my brother touch the stove. If he starts screaming then, I know my mom was right!

CrackerZack
02-10-2004, 06:41 PM
I don't agree with this. I'm not saying it due to the fact, I haven't, can't or won't try to move up. I may or may not be good enough, but that is irrelevant. The reason many otherwise better players don't move up is fear. They may be totally confident in their ability, have plenty of bankroll, but just can't bring themselves to have a session that loses a grand. Or even $500. I remember when it hurt me, but I've always a gambling type and I learned to shrug it off. I've never lost more than 2K though. When I do what will I think? I don't know and hopefully (although unrealistically) I'll never know. Just because a player is very attached to his money and afraid to have losses of a certain size doesn't mean his skills aren't enough to move up.

BugsBunny
02-10-2004, 06:53 PM
Maybe your brothers faking it?!

harboral
02-11-2004, 12:30 AM