PDA

View Full Version : Results of First 50 SNGs

rls1936
02-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Below are the results of my first 50 limit SNGs. My 2nd place finishes are twice that of my 1st places. However, I avg a 2:1 deficit in chips going into heads-up play, so I guess this is to be expected.

I am pleased with my results so far but hope to improve in the future. Anything that stands out from these stats?

The SNGs at Party are usually pretty wild, so I bide my time and wait for good hands then charge the weak players the max possible. This tight, aggressive play usually gets me close to the money but I typically am the short to medium stack with 3-5 players left.

Thanks in advance for your expert advice.

I have a 36% ROI.

1st 5 10.0%
2nd 11 22.0% 1-3 place%
3rd 7 14.0% 46%
4th 4 8.0%
5th 9 18.0%
6th 5 10.0% 4-6th%
7th 3 6.0% 36%
8th 2 4.0%
9th 3 6.0%
10th 1 2.0% 7-10th
18%
Total 50

Cosimo
02-10-2004, 06:44 PM
I've played 61 $10+1 SnGs so far, and my seconds far outweigh my firsts. Things I've picked up so far:

* raise 3-5x BB preflop (no minraises!)
* call good, cheap draws from LP
* don't bleed away chips on draws after the first couple levels

I'm looking for some more good tips from other 2+2ers out there.

X-Calibre
02-10-2004, 06:51 PM
you prob need to loosen up towards the end of these things so that you get more firsts.

I get more aggressive in the latter levels and my 1st exceed my 2nds and 3rds after 50 sngs.

it makes a big diff as my ROI fluctuates between 70-80%

GoSox
02-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Looks pretty good, are you playing NL, PL, HE ?? I'd work on eliminating the 7-10 finishes. There are too many drawing fish, especially on party. Unless you got the nuts you're probably betting into players that will always call with a full table. I especially like the NL games, you can pretty much ignore the first 20 minutes and then make it up with one hand after the wild ones are gone.

MasterShakes
02-12-2004, 07:56 PM
I'm at 61 Limit Hold 'Em SNG's around a 30% ROI.

Are the NL SNG's easier? I know they tend to get populated by maniacs, and just in terms of how many there are, they are obviously a lot more popular than limit. There's so many times at limit where I want to punch the fish in the face with a raise rather than flick them in the ear. I've read very few limit SNG players on here.

Bozeman
02-12-2004, 08:20 PM
I completely disagree. Some 7-10 finishes are necessary to get as many top 3's as you deserve. You shouldn't let the fish only give their money to others. You don't need the nuts, just ahand that is 60-70% against their range of hands.

Bozeman
02-12-2004, 08:22 PM
I think 30% ROI is good for limit, while 50% is for NL. It just takes more luck if you can't take their whole stack when you get a big edge. But then, I am a mediocre limit player (still, InThaCup might back me up here).

Craig

SlipFits
02-13-2004, 04:03 AM
I get the drift on Return on Investment, but please help a non math guy to figure it out as I'm a sit'n' goer too!

rusty JEDI
02-13-2004, 04:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think 30% ROI is good for limit, while 50% is for NL. It just takes more luck if you can't take their whole stack when you get a big edge. But then, I am a mediocre limit player (still, InThaCup might back me up here).

Craig

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never thought about this, and am playing too many tables to think about it right now in depth. But, lets assume you are true. Why would a good player (ability to learn and adapt) play limit when no limit would give them a better ROI.

For that reason stated above and remembering i have put no other thought into it, i think your statement is wrong.

Cosimo
02-13-2004, 04:16 AM
From what I remember other people posting, I think an ROI of 50% is good for players beating $10, $20, and $30 SnGs, while an ROI higher than 30% was nearly impossible at $100 and higher SnGs.

I've played 22 $10+1 SnGs in February, managed 12 in-the-$ (54.5%), and an ROI of 36%. This is a very small sample; something like 100 or 200 tourneys is needed for an accurate estimate of ROI and in-the-$. Also, this is my second month playing no limit, and I did very poorly in my first month (around -30% ROI, 46 samples).

Guy McSucker
02-13-2004, 09:01 AM
If I remember correctly, these things pay 50%/30%/20%. Is that right?

If so, here is a pointer that may help. Some may disagree, but this plan served me pretty well when I used to play one-table tourneys.

Your goals in a tournament with this payout should be

1) get in the money
2) come first.

This is because the prize for 3rd is pretty substantial (40% of the maximum prize), but the leap from 3rd to 2nd is dwarfed by the leap from 2nd to 1st.

So, once in the money, focus on winning the thing. Do not try to outlast one player to come 2nd; allow yourself more 3rd places, if need be, but try to win outright if you can.

I believe that 3rd place money is sufficiently large that survival tactics are correct on the bubble (i.e. with 4 left).

But don't take either of these points too far: don't give up on good opportunities with 4 left, and don't take rash chances when in the money.

Guy.

spoody
02-13-2004, 09:43 AM
For me, the easiest are the Pot Limit sit and gos. I am over 60% in the money in PL, about 50% in NL and 50% in O8B limit (sorry i play a $30 O8B sometimes while in a $100 NL/PL HE...they are fun). Only accidentally played in Limit a couple of times...won a multi recently in limit but never a single table.

So I would suggest moving to NL...get the hang of it, and then begin to try your hand at PL.

Spoody

GoSox
02-13-2004, 01:49 PM
Interesting that you like the Pot Limit. I find No limit and HE the easiest by far. HE I just play basically by the book, there seems to be much less variance in my results. NL is the most profitable for me, you just stay patient and don't bleed off your stack. Then if you play your few really strong hands well you can pick up a lot of chips. Pot Limit is where I struggle. You can never bet enough to kill the draws, or win enough to make up for the patience. I probably play 65% HE 25% and PL 10%.

OneStuckFish
02-14-2004, 12:24 AM
This is excellent advice. I play to get in the money 1st, then to place 2nd, but I definitely can see your way being more helpful to the ROI. In the sit and goes, most people loosen up once in the money anyway, so getting 1st or 2nd should probably occur a good bit more than third. In the bottom limits, I placed 1st and 2nd a touch over 40% of the time, with very few 3rd's, but stepping up a notch Ive been stuck with alot of 3rd place prizes, which reaks havoc on the ROI. 53% placement at the bottom limit, most at 1st and 2nd place gave me an ROI of over 56% over 70 tourneys. At one level up, Ive placed in 63% but ROI is right at 40%. Im going to start playing out of third to win it (get the money that takes it heads up) and see if I can turn this better win percentage into a high ROI.
[ QUOTE ]
If I remember correctly, these things pay 50%/30%/20%. Is that right?

If so, here is a pointer that may help. Some may disagree, but this plan served me pretty well when I used to play one-table tourneys.

Your goals in a tournament with this payout should be

1) get in the money
2) come first.

This is because the prize for 3rd is pretty substantial (40% of the maximum prize), but the leap from 3rd to 2nd is dwarfed by the leap from 2nd to 1st.

So, once in the money, focus on winning the thing. Do not try to outlast one player to come 2nd; allow yourself more 3rd places, if need be, but try to win outright if you can.

I believe that 3rd place money is sufficiently large that survival tactics are correct on the bubble (i.e. with 4 left).

But don't take either of these points too far: don't give up on good opportunities with 4 left, and don't take rash chances when in the money.

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluff1
02-14-2004, 04:23 AM
Would a Roi of 50% be 11$ per trny for a 20+2 buy in?

AleoMagus
02-14-2004, 06:03 AM
ROI=Return on Investment

Your ROI will equal your net return divided by your investment

For example, Getting third in a Partypoker $10+1 pays $20 for a net profit of $9.
9/11=81.8% ROI

It is meaningless to talk about the ROI of single tourneys however, so you will want to add all of your net profits together and divide this sum by your total number of tourneys played. This will give you an average profit/tourney.

For example, Imagine that you played 100 $10+1 sngs and finished 1st 20 times, 2nd 10 times, 3rd 15 times.

Your total entries would equal $1100. Your total prizes would equal $1600. This would yield a net profit of $500.

$500 profit/100 tourneys = $5 net return/tourney average

Now, $5(return/tourney av.)/$11(entry fee)= 45% ROI

You could even figure an ROI for all sngs played at all limits by averaging entry fees as well, but I don't think this info would be very useful

Hope this helps

Regards,
Brad S