PDA

View Full Version : To those with much pokerreading behind.....

Jimbolito
02-10-2004, 12:37 PM
I´ve played fixed hold´em for a couple of months now. Doin´ alright so far.
I have really study the game and so far I´ve read 3 books.

WLLHE by Lee Jones
Winning Strategies from an Internet Pro by Matthew Hilger
The Pokerhandbook (probably unknown for most of you)

And my game has improved much since I´ve read theese books. But now I´m thinkin´ of buyin
some more, and want your opinions about what you think is propely for lowlimit.

I´m certainly goin to get ToP. But then, what do u think?
Many here on 2+2 tellin "rookies" to get HEPFAP, but as far as I can see this book is written for middlelimit Hold´em, and not lowlimit. Soo why say something like that?
I´m playin 0.5-1 Paradise right now, and I´m tellin u, WLLHE is almost to advanced for thoose games. At least my opinion.

Heard that Sklansky and Malmuth´s comin out with a new book written for lowlimit, should I wait for that one? Anyone know when it´s comin by the way?

But anyway, recommendations from u who have a lot of reading behind u and got a lot to compare with.
Would be nice with a short recension of each recomendation. + and -.

Fixed Hold´em is gonna be my maingame. But I´m also goin to try out some tournaments soon. So what books for that area?
And does tournamentbooks cover both regular tour:mts and SNG´s?

Also thinkin about exploring No limit further ahead (cant win World Series without that one;)

What´s your opinion about tryin all this? Or should I stay with one game, like fixed? Or is it ok to explore different forms of hold´em when U are new to the game?

\\Jc.

scotnt73
02-10-2004, 12:47 PM
hpfap if for everyone, especially beginners. if you liked jones book youll love this book. i heard that they put the advanced in the title because everyone thinks they are advanced and it sells better that way /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Robk
02-11-2004, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Many here on 2+2 tellin "rookies" to get HEPFAP, but as far as I can see this book is written for middlelimit Hold´em, and not lowlimit. Soo why say something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

HPFAP contains a section called "loose games" which is like 30 pages long. And of course many concepts in the rest of the book still apply to low limit games, especially checkraising, value betting, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
But anyway, recommendations from u who have a lot of reading behind u and got a lot to compare with.
Would be nice with a short recension of each recomendation. + and -.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason's Poker Essasy books, and Sklansky's 3 books (Getting the Best of It, Sklansky on Poker, and Poker, Gaming and Life) all contain a few great essays that alone are worth the price of the book. They also all contain long sections you'll find entirely useless. Go look them up in bookstore. You might find them worth buying, and if not you can sit there and read the good parts. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
But I´m also goin to try out some tournaments soon. So what books for that area?

[/ QUOTE ]

TPFAP is the only book I've read, and it's very good IMO. It does assume you already know how to play the game in question well though, it's just about tournament adjustments.

Robk
02-11-2004, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go look them up in bookstore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops just realized you are in Sweden /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Adde
02-13-2004, 07:08 PM
1. Play Limit Holdem ring games 'til you drop.

- WLLH, ToP, HPFAP. No excuse for leaving any of them out.

2. Play Limit SnG tourneys 'til you drop. Throw in some Limit multi tourneys for fun.

- TPFAP.

3. Play NL SnG tourneys 'til you drop.

- Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker, Bob Ciaffone.

4. Play NL multi tourneys.

- TPFAP, PLNLP. Again.

5. Play WSOP

- A couple of drinks to stay cool at the final table.

BTW, where in Sweden? Uppsala here.

DrPhysic
02-13-2004, 07:52 PM
I don't have "much" pokerreading. 8 books, 4 more on shelf, 20 more on list.

IMHO, the two books that are absolute must read for any poker player, with highlighter, tabs, thumbprints, until the pages fall out and you have to buy a new one are:
Theory of Poker, and
Getting the Best of It,
both by DSklansky.

Might change my mind after 20 more books, but I doubt it.

Doc

onegymrat
02-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi Jim,

[ QUOTE ]
Many here on 2+2 tellin "rookies" to get HEPFAP, but as far as I can see this book is written for middlelimit Hold´em, and not lowlimit.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree with your statement. Posters are correct that HPFAP can be used for low-limit games, even high-limits games for that matter. My other concern would be that "beginners" are picking up the book because that's what everyone is reading, and trying to apply the concepts without knowing why. I feel that you need more than a couple of months experience before being able to absorb that type of concept. You can play low-limit and not be a beginner. But since you have been only playing a couple of months, get Theory of Poker by Sklansky. A non-2+2 starter book that may interest you is Holdem Excellence by Lou Krieger. Good luck.

bygmesterf
02-13-2004, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What´s your opinion about tryin all this? Or should I stay with one game, like fixed? Or is it ok to explore different forms of hold´em when U are new to the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, everyone is going to recomend HEFAP. Two non 2+2 books that I really liked, were Gary Carson's book, and Mike Caro's book.

Gary Carson's book, basicly asks you to think about the game and your relationship to it. It also explains why conventional stratigies for loose games don't work, and why an "action-value" approach is needed.

Mike Caro's book while genrelly vague, has alot of snipets of good advice, and it's interesting to see what Mike Caro has to say about things.

When I stated playing hold'em a good buddy of mine lent me his copy of "Mike Caro's Porfessional Hold'em report." That's out of print, but alot of the idea's in the report are expressed in the book. That report set me on the path to being a winning player.

Also Super system has IMHO a great section on limit hold'em. That teaches you good thinking. WHich is really the most important thing.

There is also, Mike Caro's 12 Days to hold'em sucess. Which is a series of 12 missions, each one emphasising a different aspect of the game.

Beach-Whale
02-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Hi Jimbolito.

In my opinion, you will get very little, if anything, out of HEPFAP, as I see that you have read Matthew's book, which is a much better book. HEPFAP is not as good as everyone is saying. It's poorly written.

You should get The Theory of Poker instead. That one is a very good book that you should read. No detailed advice, though, if that is what you want.

Also, you should read anything you can get your hands on by Roy Cooke. He'll teach you how to think. Highly recommended.

Jimbolito
02-15-2004, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Play Limit Holdem ring games 'til you drop.

- WLLH, ToP, HPFAP. No excuse for leaving any of them out.

2. Play Limit SnG tourneys 'til you drop. Throw in some Limit multi tourneys for fun.

- TPFAP.

3. Play NL SnG tourneys 'til you drop.

- Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker, Bob Ciaffone.

4. Play NL multi tourneys.

- TPFAP, PLNLP. Again.

5. Play WSOP

- A couple of drinks to stay cool at the final table.

BTW, where in Sweden? Uppsala here.

[/ QUOTE ]

WLLHE is read about 4-5 times.
And ToP is one it´s way.

Is there bigger money at no-limit at the lower limits if u compare to limit? Two guys with the same knowledge (in their game of course), one in limit, one in no-limit, wich makes more money? Maybe obvious answer, but anyway.

Think I´ll stay with fixed cashgames for a while, and some low-buyin SnG´s. Played my first one couple days ago. $5+1, placed 2:nd, then 1:st and 2:nd again. Tried out the $10+1 and didn´t manage a priceplace, neither when I tried later again. Much difference between $5 and $10 fixed SnG´s?

Anyway, live outside Gbg. How long U played? what u play right now?

Soo long!

Your Mom
02-15-2004, 07:07 PM
In my opinion, you will get very little, if anything, out of HEPFAP, as I see that you have read Matthew's book, which is a much better book. HEPFAP is not as good as everyone is saying. It's poorly written.

Haha.

Mason Malmuth
02-15-2004, 08:56 PM
Hi Beach-Whale:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely.

Best wishes,
Mason

Mike Gallo
02-15-2004, 09:09 PM
I agree completely.

Mason,

I just fell off my chair. For those who say you do not possess a sense of humor they do not read the subtleties in your posts.

SunTzu68
02-20-2004, 08:33 PM
I don't think Mason was kidding. Of course, there is the potential lawsuit that should be pending since much of the book is almost word for word Sklansky's work (Theory of Poker) or Mason & Sklansky's work (Hold 'Em For Advanced Players). But it is well written.

If you can get past that, it is an excellent book that actually does introduce some other concepts but doesn't give credit where credit is due.

DonWaade
02-23-2004, 04:24 PM
I agree with Dr Physic. TOP is a MUSTREAD

DonWaade
02-23-2004, 04:29 PM
Quote: hpfap if for everyone, especially beginners. if you liked jones book youll love this book. i heard that they put the advanced in the title because everyone thinks they are advanced and it sells better that way

Unfortunatley I was one of those people who thought were advanced and found out the hard way for a couple months that I am not