PDA

View Full Version : Not so Perfect 10's

mikeyvegas
02-10-2004, 12:17 PM
With partypoker being down last night I decided it would be good time to try out pokerstars. Maybe it's just me but the $2-4 game seemed much tighter than at party. Oh well, so here is the last hand of my session.

Suspects to make it to showdown:
BB - new player who just posted, no read on him
UTG - Mike E. Vegas

I'm dealt 10/images/graemlins/club.gif 10/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I open raise and it's folded to the BB who calls.

Headsup to the flop for 4 1/2 SB's

Flop

3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, I bet, BB raises, I 3 bet, BB calls.
Wow, not sure if he's got something or is just trying to defend his blind here.

Going to turn for 10 1/2 SB's

Turn:

4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks again, I bet and he calls. Ok, not to sure of where I'm at. I still have an overpair but don't feel to good about it.

Going to the river for 7 1/4 BB's

The River:

5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Alright, so there is now 4 to a straight on the board. BB checks and I check.

What do you think of my play here? I need feedback cause I feel my play has been sucking pretty bad.

mmanne
02-10-2004, 01:24 PM
I like your play, but I would have bet the river. I put him on an 8 or a 6, it's possible he has a 7 with it (or 2pair). However, I think you still have a value bet on the river.

Luke
02-10-2004, 01:27 PM
Everything is fine, except BET THE RIVER!

Do you really think this guy's got a 4? I'd more likely think he had something like 97, 75, 77, 8x, A6, etc. He'll pay off with most of those.

Luke

J.R.
02-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Pokerstars' games, in my experience, tend to be far more aggressive than the typical loose passive party games. Typically the flop check-raise is any pair that put you on overcrads. Nice 3 bet.

The river is a bet unless you feel the BB can check-raise a worse hand, as you should be able to safely fold to a check-raise. With the board so connected, I would expect most players to afraid of you checking behind and bet with 2 pair or better.

mikeyvegas
02-10-2004, 02:07 PM
I checked behind on the river because....well I guess because I'm becoming a real wimp. The only hand I could figure BB staying till the river was either a pair of 8's with a decent kicker, 9-7, or a pair of 7's. My thinking was if BB had a better hand(set or 2 pair) he would have made some noise on the turn. I guess my hand reading skills stink cause the pot was pushed his way after my check and he showed a pair of Q's! I guess he thought I might have had A's or K's. Thanks for the feedback all!

Robk
02-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Many players will checkraise a low flop like this with any pair, a semi-bluff like 9T, or even a pure bluff, hoping you missed with big cards. I like to punish them by calling the flop checkraise and then raising a later street.