PDA

View Full Version : AT offsuit

darklair
02-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Let's say you're in late-middle position and 3 players call in front of you. We can assume that this is a typical loose low-limit game (most weak passive, some stupid aggressive players). You have ATo and call. Then everyone between you and the button folds, who now raises. One of the blinds, along with all three callers in front of you call the raise. Should you also call? Similarly, what if you have K-Jo, call in last position, the small blind raises, and 3 people caller before it back gets to you?

Festus22
02-10-2004, 11:39 AM
I don't think there is a situation where you should not call a single raise after you have already limped.

Lost Wages
02-10-2004, 11:46 AM
In general, if you limp and it's raised behind you, you should always call for one more bet. If it's raised and reraised so that you have to call 2 bets or more, then you will have to make a more careful analysis.

In your AT example, you are getting 10:1 on your call when it's back to you. Even if the raiser has AA you are only a ~9:1 underdog. If he has KK you are only about a 7:3 dog.

Lost Wages

Dylan Wade
02-10-2004, 02:44 PM
I saw a situation where you could the other day. Basically, it was folded to the SB, who completed with 34o.

It was mistake to call in the SB--a clear raise or fold situation. However, after the SB limped the BB raised. I think it's a big mistake to call again. Often, even if you made a mistake by calling the first time, the pot odds to call will compensate to call the raise. But not in this situation.

Festus22
02-10-2004, 04:29 PM
I'm not even sure that's true. Against two suited overcards, you're only a 2:1 dog and you're getting 3:1 on your call. The only hands you'd be getting worse than 3:1 would be if the BB held an overpair. In that case you'd be a bit worse than 4:1. So it's really not as bleak as it first may appear.

ike
02-10-2004, 04:58 PM
This is only an adequate analysis if its an allin situation, which it is not. Bets will go in on later streets and it will be difficult to determine whether or not you are ahead. For instance, you may be up against KT or QJ or A8 or basically any combination of overcards and you will never have top pair so it will be nearly impossible to know if you're ahead unless you get a miracle flop. You may win the hand 1/3 times if you always play it to the river, but in general you'll win less on your winners than you lose on your losers. If it were correct to call a raise in the BB any time you thought you were less than a 3:1 dog you'd almost never fold.

Nottom
02-10-2004, 05:11 PM
There are better SB examples than this, but I don't realy consider completing a SB the same as a limp.

When I was playing 2/4, I would often complete my SB with Ax but will dump it if the BB raises, same with something like Jxs.

Shawsy
02-10-2004, 05:33 PM
There is some interesting reading in Matthew Hilger's Internet Texas Hold'em book on the situation where pre-flop is folded to the small blind. I have not played in brick & mortar games, but gather that this often results in chopped blinds and you don't get the heads-up situation with the blinds too much. I don't recall seeing much more than passing mention of the situation in other books on hold'em.
His book is aimed at higher limits than "micro" to be sure, and we don't see this sitution much in micro games because you will almost always get at least a limper.
It's too much to post here, but thought someone might be interested.

ike
02-10-2004, 06:43 PM
I don't like your ato call. The hand is terrible multiway, it will regularly lose a big pot on kicker to better aces that morons randomly slowplayed or win a small one where no one else has an ace or they timidly chase you down with a bad ace. It has very little potential to make a big hand, the KQJ flop and twopair/trips are about the only possibilities. Lastly, if it gets raised you are almost certainly dominated but could be trapped into playing your second best hand. Calling a raise after you've limped is completely mandatory, you'll see people fold but they are making a serious mistake. So once you've limped you've got to call, next time save yourself the trouble and don't get involved in multiway pots with ATo. About the only time I play it is when I can open raise in mid-late position.

Henke
02-10-2004, 07:01 PM
This situation feels a bit hypothetical, because it doesn't happen everyday that it gets folded to the SB at micro-limits. However, if the person to my right would fold his SB after completing it headsup, I would raise him almost every time. If he folds more than 1/3 of the time, I gain. I'll also have position throughout the hand, and might hit the flop!