PDA

View Full Version : Flopping Quads at the micro limits

Brian
02-10-2004, 09:06 AM
Party .5/1. I have 77 on the Button and limp in behind a MP limper. SB and BB come along.

Flop: J77. All check to me. Allow others to catch up or bet? At higher limits against opponents who are actually thinking, I'd probably check along and allow someone to catch up. And against good players who are thinking on multiple levels at the same time, I'd bet because a check would look more suspicious than a bet. But, at Party .5/1, where players aren't thinking at all and generally peel one off on the Flop no matter what, I thought betting was best. Thoughts?

-Brian

chesspain
02-10-2004, 09:24 AM
Many microlimit players who would not bet at this pot will peel one off when you bet, thinking that you are trying to steal the pot. Futhermore, since two of your three opponents were in the blinds and got in cheap, they may have crap (e.g. two low cards, paint/bad kicker, etc.) and may not bet on later streets even if they catch a pair, although they might call a bet.

Consequently, I would bet.

Joe Tall
02-10-2004, 09:33 AM
Bet, you know how they love to call and you position looks like you are 'stabbing' at the pot.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Zetack
02-10-2004, 09:40 AM
I would check. I think a jack hand would likely bet at this flop. Consequently nobody has anything. Let them catch up. If somebody did catch a jack but the 7's scared them, your check may induce them to bet on the turn or to conclude you are bluffing and call if you bet after being checked to on the turn--particularly since you are last to act... And maybe somebody hits a pair they like.

Yes, some people will call a flop bet with nothing but will fold to a turn bet. But nobody has shown any strength, probably nobody has anything they like and you have a monster. Play it gently.

It may just be your bad luck to hit a huge hand when nobody makes anything.

--Zetack

skunkworks
02-10-2004, 09:41 AM
I lean toward betting this. At this limit, bets from late position look suspect and there are plenty of people who will call with one overcard, so why not go ahead and bet. However, if you've been putting the fear of God into the table for the past hour and they're running scared, or if the table is unusually tight...

You have a better feel for the situation than any forum dweller might gather from your post. And honestly, how many mistakes can you possibly make with four sevens /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bernie
02-10-2004, 10:40 AM
id even bet on the higher limits against opponents who are thinking. i mean, really, is a flop bet really that strong here that you think theyd fold? hell, you may even get raised.

id be even more inclined to bet if it was a 2 tone board.

remember, they dont know that you just flopped quads. think of the spot where you can bet where you will get the most action by representing the most number of hands.

one factor is how tight the table is postflop. it would have to be very tight for me to check this on the flop.

b

Brian
02-10-2004, 10:52 AM
I bet, everyone folded. Of course I was just being results-oriented. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Brian

Zetack
02-10-2004, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
id even bet on the higher limits against opponents who are thinking. i mean, really, is a flop bet really that strong here that you think theyd fold? hell, you may even get raised.

id be even more inclined to bet if it was a 2 tone board.

remember, they dont know that you just flopped quads. think of the spot where you can bet where you will get the most action by representing the most number of hands.

one factor is how tight the table is postflop. it would have to be very tight for me to check this on the flop.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they don't know you flopped quads but there was no pre-flop raise, it was checked to our Hero, obviously nobody has a seven, that leaves only a jack on the board to hit somebody, and probably if a jack hits anybody they bet. So its not so much they know our hero has a monster as that nobody has anything they like. Give em another card to try and hit something.

Of course, I'm obviously in the minority on this one, so what do I know. If there had been a pre-flop raise I like a bet better. But even then I might check.

--Zetack

bernie
02-10-2004, 11:16 AM
many, many players will call a flop bet with just about anything drawing absolutely dead. all the ace chasers, runner flush chasers, overcard holders, pkt pair holders chasing their 2 outers, etc.

but sometimes everyone will fold. which is rare. if they fold alot against you on flop bets, then you probably arent betting enough 'types' of hands in these spots or on the flop in general. this is one reason many on here bet alot of hands on the flop. so we get action on our great made hands when we get em.

i think slavic posted a hand recently where he flopped a nut and got lots of action on it by betting the flop. even got raised on the flop and callers came along. it was a great example.

not saying id never check this, but that's not my normal play. especially if i see other players on the table do the 'wake up on the turn' bet with a great hand in prior hands/sessions.

b