PDA

View Full Version : Heads up with KK rate my play

Stu Pidasso
02-10-2004, 03:47 AM
Party $3/$6

UTG raises.
All fold to me in late position and I find delt to me K /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I 3-bet.
Everyone folds to UTG who caps. Its heads up and the flop comes

A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG bets, I call, the turn brings J /images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG bets, I call, the river brings T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG checks, I bet, I drag the pot.

How was my play on each street?
Did I leave money on the table?

Stu

bdk3clash
02-10-2004, 03:53 AM
I like your play on each street, though I would check-fold here most of the time. You've got 2 immediate outs at best against a reasonable capper, and backdoor draws. I'm not crazy about continuing.

Once you call the flop, calling the turn is automatic. Also, betting out on the river is better than going for a check-raise, as he's likely spooked by the coordinated board anyway and would probably check behind. If he raises, you've got an easy 3-bet.

BaronVonCP
02-10-2004, 03:58 AM
I doubt you were ahead on that flop. I'm not good at calculating odds for runner runner draws. But I guess you could hope he's capping with JJ or something.

But anyways...
Once you see the turn, you definately can't fold.
River was easy.

Brian
02-10-2004, 04:09 AM
Hi Stu,

The only way I could see playing this differently is raising the Turn. I would only do this against a player I knew fairly well though, because I don't want to be re-raised on the Turn. In other words, if he won't re-raise the Turn without the nuts (which he can't have, since you have the Ks), I'd probably raise. I would plan on checking behind on the River if I didn't improve, and betting if I did improve. This will cost you the same amount of bets if you had called and called on the River, and it will gain you a bet if you do improve.

Against an unknown online player though, I am probably just calling the Turn, and calling the River if I don't improve.

-Brian

Bob T.
02-10-2004, 04:20 AM
Preflop, what else you going to do.

On the flop, if you are ahead, a raise might cost you your action, if you are behind, it will cost you more money.

On the turn, you almost have enough outs to semibluff, but I suspect that calling is probably going to make you more money over the long run.

What else you going to do on the river.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Bob T.
02-10-2004, 04:24 AM
The problem is, if he is any kind of player, you might face a reraise on the turn, because he isn't going to expect that a preflop 3bettor has Kx of spades, and there are a fair number of 4 betting hands that you are behind, AA, QQ, JJ, AK, and maybe AQs depending on your opponent.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Stu Pidasso
02-10-2004, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What else you going to do on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets say the turn and river were rags, and you have been calling all the way. If your opponent bets into you again on the river do you raise? That was my plan when I first saw the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn, you almost have enough outs to semibluff, but I suspect that calling is probably going to make you more money over the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about raising the turn figuring I could show down for free if I did not improve, or collect an extra bet should the spade or ten fall off on the river. I decided against raising figuring it was too likely my opponent would three bet.

Stu

Brian
02-10-2004, 05:19 AM
Hi Bob T.,

Like I said in my post, I would only do this against someone I had good control over.

-Brian

Catch of the Day
02-10-2004, 05:28 AM
I woulda raised the flop. You need to see where you are. If he has no ace, he is folding, and you take it there, and if he re-raise you can re-asses, and maybe think about folding. I mean you could just call down all the way, but I would never play that passively with KK heads up against an early position raiser not knowing at all where I stand.

Hmm...In thinking about it more, what hands would this player raise with UTG, If he's a solid player then your looking @ AA AKo, Aks, KK, QQ, JJ, Ace(any suited paint really) maybe 10,10. if he's LAG then maybe even QJs

So after the turn, I woulda for sure folded if the Jack wasnt a spade, so yeah I would call there too, but you could be drawing dead there too.

Now I don't know, He could of easily been going for a check-raise on the river too. But its really hard to let go of those kings heads up. Specially on the flop. I can't believe that you took it down though...

It never ceases to amaze what people will raise pf UTG with...

Catch of the Day
02-10-2004, 05:39 AM
I am stupid, You had nut flush draw on the turn in addition to a straight draw, I didnt see that untill I read others' replies. Also raiseing the flop might get a worse hand to fold, and a better one to just re-raise so i think that you know better than I do....Good play

Nottom
02-10-2004, 08:09 AM
I don't like the idea of a turn raise all that much. When I first saw it, it sort of looked like a good idea but theres no real point unless you think there is a chance you are ahead. Most likely you are just going to get 3bet by his set and have to pay 2BB extra to see the river.