PDA

View Full Version : flopped nut flush

foofighter
02-10-2004, 02:29 AM
Live 3/6...Im BB and dealt A/images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif four limpers,I raise...all call. Flop is 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif...SB bets, I raise and everyone else folds except SB. Turn and river were blanks. He checks and calls to river and shows A,10. Basically did i make a mistake by raising on the flop. Should i have just called and waited for the turn. The game was pretty loose like most low limit games but i couldnt get this one hand out of my mind wondering if i could of won a bigger pot with this very rare dream flop.

ordnaryjam
02-10-2004, 02:38 AM
I am going to say that you missed quite a few bets here. What could someone have that they would call two cold on the flop with here? Probably nothing less than two pair or trips is going to call. You have both the A and K of hearts so its not likely you are getting a lone heart to call for the flush. As always your opponents are important here- if there are tricky players behind you can call hoping for a bluff raise, you can call hoping for a turn card that puts straight possiblilities on the board to get more callers there and on the river. If the small blind checks here i will usually bet out, and then if i get one or two callers check on the turn (trying a stop and go), and if i get three i will bet out on the turn.

maurile
02-10-2004, 02:56 AM
I agree with ordnaryjam. There's no reason to narrow the field when you've got the nut flush, which is what your flop raise did. If the bet had come from a player to your left, you could raise after trapping people (although waiting till the turn may be preferable). But since the bet came from your immediate right, your raise probably lost you some bets.

bernie
02-10-2004, 10:50 AM
this is one spot i wouldve just called. your raise represents a protection raise so it could be seen as a small flush protecting against single big flush cards. they still wont likely put you on the nut flush, but being put on the made flush is bad enough at this point.

if there were players in between, then it could look like a free card play while possibly getting the in-betweens to call. the later the position, especially if the bettor is an EP, the better.

however, if i was first to act, id bet out.

b

Nottom
02-10-2004, 11:11 AM
Yeah, this is a perfect opportunity to slowplay. You want to trap the other players not force them to call 2-bets on a scary board. You basically have to smoothcall the SBs bet and hope to get some action behind you, you have the top 2 flush cards so its unlikely anyone is going to want to chase a flush against you for 2-bets.