PDA

View Full Version : Big Hand in the Big Blind

toddw8
02-09-2004, 11:32 PM
PokerStars .05/.10

Hero is dealt 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in BB

EP3 limps, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, CO limps, SB completes, Hero checks

Flop (6sb): 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, Hero checks, EP3 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks

Turn (3bb): 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, Hero bets, EP3 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, SB folds

River (7bb): A /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero bets, all fold

My question is, how could I have gotten more money into this pot?

Obviously, the flop c/r attempt was misguided, I definitely should have bet out here. However, suppose I did bet out on the flop. Is there an opportunity to try the c/r on the turn when I hit my boat? Or should I just bet the turn again hoping the flush card comes on the river and when it does c/r there? Or should I just play this hand straightforward and bet on all streets?

riverunner
02-09-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm not sure you could have gotten much more out of this hand. It looks like nobody had a hand. Personally I don't think that check-raising on the flop is usually the right way to go. In general I would bet on the flop and check-raise on the turn or the river where the bets are bigger. In this hand I don't think a check-raise would work on the turn because everyone was checking. You may have been able to pull it off on the river with the Ace/flush hitting.

thirddan
02-09-2004, 11:55 PM
i would bet this flop since to most players it won't look like a seven because in their mind they would never lead out with trips, in your hand i would have bet whole way...Since it seems that nobody had anything except you betting the flop probably would have gotten you the same callers that called you on the turn except that you get an extra SB out of each of them...

namknils
02-09-2004, 11:58 PM
There is not really a place to checkraise on this hand. I would just bet out on the flop, turn, and river. You can't really try for the turn checkraise because the 3 isn't going to help anyone much. And since you are fairly well disguised with your boat go ahead and bet the river, hoping someone hit a flush and will raise you, then three bet. Tough luck that nobody hit the flush, apparently they weren't chasing it, I'd be curious to know what they were looking for.

-nam

me454555
02-10-2004, 12:13 AM
Why c/r here? The flush draws are coming along anyway and the only people your going to drive out are those that have a Q or overcards that you have beat pretty well. You also risk giving a free card to the flush draws. Just bet out and see what happens.

toddw8
02-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I knew immidiated after I hit the check button on the flop that it was a bad idea. When it got checked through and I bet the turn everyone at the table had to assume that I was slowplaying my trips. My attempt at a fancy play made me end up playing this hand just like the fish do.

I don't like playing like the fish /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Raiser
02-10-2004, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In general I would bet on the flop and check-raise on the turn or the river where the bets are bigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't tried this play. I generally go for the check raise on the flop unless I make my hand on the turn and I checked or check/called the flop. Do players really fall for this if you bet the flop and then check the turn? Will they still bet into you. I realize at micro limits the players aren't the greatest, but this seems "too" obvious a trap for them to fall into.

Thoughts?

JPNet
02-10-2004, 04:58 PM
At these micro limits I have several times seen someone c/r the flop, c/r the turn, and the c/r again on the river, and the same person bet into him every time. Incredible, but true /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Trix
02-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Bet and 3Bet the flop if raised.