PDA

View Full Version : Draws

looseasyourmom
02-09-2004, 10:10 PM
While this question is delightfully ambiguous, I was curious about opinions on drawing for a hand. Say you have the nut flush or straight draw off the flop. In my opinion, the move would be to check and hope for a free card in most situations. What do you guys think?

BottlesOf
02-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Not to be a d---, but this question cannot be intelligently answered in a concise way. You need to get some poker books and read first. I hear 2+2 has some good ones.

rayrns
02-09-2004, 10:44 PM
How many players saw flop?
What is your position?
How did the betting go pre-flop?

Unless you can answer these questions and more, you or no one else can answer yours.

curmudgeon
02-10-2004, 12:16 AM
Check & call if you thimk someone else will bet.
Otherwise, bet to get more money in the pot for correct drawing odds to the river. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

bigpooch
02-10-2004, 09:54 AM
There are no cut and dry answers but typically, if up
against a few players and there is a small chance that
everyone will fold if you bet, you should consider betting.
If you have position and are (next to/) last to act, you
should consider betting with the possible intention of
giving yourself a free ticket to the river if the hand gets
checked to you on the turn. If you are out of position in a
pot contested with several players, betting is okay if you
think nobody will raise you as long as you are drawing to
the nuts or very close to it.

Also, sometimes you will have to check raise the hand: if
you decide to check from an early position (say the SB) and
the BB bets and a few players call and you have nothing but
nut flush draw, you should check raise (with the hope the BB
doesn't reraise and blow everyone out!) because you will
make a flush about 1/3 of the time.

Occasionally, you will also have to raise because you have
at least an overcard and may get to see the river for one
less small bet (not to mention, you may win by merely making
a pair with your overcard(s)).

These are the most common situations I can think of with a
flush draw or straight draw and that is only on the flop!

Joe Tall
02-10-2004, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to be a d---, but this question cannot be intelligently answered in a concise way. You need to get some poker books and read first.

[/ QUOTE ]

First this and then this...

[ QUOTE ]
I hear 2+2 has some good ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are going to fit right in. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good post,
Joe Tall

Jim Easton
02-11-2004, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
While this question is delightfully ambiguous,

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a little too ambiguous, so I'll add some info and see what kind of responses you get. We'll assume typical Party 3/6 games.

Hand 1:

A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB, 5 limpers to the button, who raises, you call, limpers call, 7 to the flop.

Flop:

K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

How do you play it?

Hand 2:

A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB, UTG (aggressive player) raises, 2 cold callers, SB folds, you call, 4 to the flop.

Flop:

K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

How do you play it?

pudley4
02-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Hand 1: Bet.

Hand 2: Checkraise.

What do I win? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TimM
02-11-2004, 12:51 PM
1st case:

Bet and then just call if raised. You want several callers to pay one or two bets. This is an outright value bet if you get 5 to see the turn with you (since you need just over 4:1 on this bet), and a good implied odds bet if you get a few less.

2nd case:

Check and call. The UTG will likely raise if you bet, and that might knock out a few callers. You want to see the turn and river cheap and with as many other players as possible.

Jim Easton
02-11-2004, 01:50 PM
The general idea in both hands is to get as many players as possible to put in as many bets as possible. The question is how to do it.

Hand 1:

I'm betting here and hoping the button raises. Whether I 3-bet depends on how many of the limpers called my first bet and how likely they would be to call my 3-bet. The more callers and the more likely they are to call, the more inclined I am to 3-bet.

Hand 2:
I don't bet here. A raise is too likely from UTG and I don't want the players behind him shut out. Checkraising depends on the UTG, if I think he will 3-bet, I'm less likely to checkraise because I don't want the others shut out. Of course, if they are likely to call 2 more after calling the first, I lean toward checkraising. If he is likely to 3-bet and they are likely to fold, I just call.

bernie
02-11-2004, 09:03 PM
hand 1:

bet out

hand 2:
try for the checkraise if the bet hopefully comes from the preflop raiser.

b

bernie
02-11-2004, 09:07 PM
on hand 2, other opponents folding dead money into the pot isnt as bad since you may be able to spike an A and win. possibly knocking out a better ace in the process.

without the overcard, i agree much more. though id probably still do it. you're bound to get a few callers on this one in between.

b