PDA

View Full Version : 99 on the Button - Where should I have layed this down?

beta77
02-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Hi all: first time post, so please forgive me if I miss any of the commonly accepted formatting conventions. Here goes:

Party 3/6

I have only seen 1 orbit, so no solid reads on players.

Hero has 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif and is Button.

UTG limps, UTG+1 limps, MP limps, CO raises, Hero Reraises (?), SB calls, BB calls, rest call. 7 to the flop for 21sb.

Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked to CO who bets, Hero Raises, SB calls 2, BB calls 2, all fold to CO who calls.

At this point I'm thinking that CO is probably on overcards (no pair unless he's being tricky); SB and BB probably on draws or possible middle pairs like 88 (waiting for the turn to pop his set), 10 10 or JJ.

4 to the turn for 29sb.

Turn: 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif(6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif)

Checked to Hero. Hmm, did the flush draw just get there? Did the set just become a boat? Only one way to find out. Hero Bets, SB raises, BB calls 2, CO folds, Hero calls (?).

At this point I was thinking, well, there are approx. 19BB in this pot, I have an overpair with a pair on the board. At best, I have 4 outs ~11:1 to hit. At worst I have a 2 outer if BB has a 6 or the pair of 8's (not likely, since he probably would have reraised SB's flush representation if he had the 8's) ~22:1. Figuring I have some implied odds if I hit my 2/4 outer, I call.

3 to the River for 20BB.

River: 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif(6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif)

Well, obviously, I figured this for the best hand and all 3 of us put in the max bets.

Anyhow, my real questions for all of you are:

1. Should I be reraising preflop on the button with a pair of 9's and the preflop action as it was up to me? Or should I cold-call hoping to keep everyone in and play for the set?

2. Should I have raised the flop or waited until the turn to raise it?

3. After raising the flop, should I have bet the turn or checked behind?

4. After betting for value/information on the turn, should I have folded once getting the information I was looking for? Obviously the implied odds worked out in this case, but I think that it might be a pretty thin call if my opponents slow down more on the river.

Hopefully this isn't too obvious of a problem, but I have been thinking about it for a few days and still can't definitely decide the best course of action against unknown opponents with this board, etc.

Any help and advice is welcome and appreciated.

Best,

beta77

Clarkmeister
02-10-2004, 03:41 AM
Just call preflop.

The flop raise is fine.

I'd strongly consider taking the free card on the turn here. In addition to being worried about the flush, its pretty reasonable to be worried about a bigger overpair here. Its inconceivable that checking will cost you the pot as almost no one is folding if they made it this far.

BaronVonCP
02-10-2004, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'd strongly consider taking the free card on the turn here. In addition to being worried about the flush, its pretty reasonable to be worried about a bigger overpair here. Its inconceivable that checking will cost you the pot as almost no one is folding if they made it this far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. But say you bet, as the hero did, what do you do when you are raised?

TBone
02-10-2004, 03:54 AM
You call, hoping to hit the boat w/ all that money in the pot.

T

TBone
02-10-2004, 04:00 AM
There are too many limpers in the hand already to re-raise the raiser. If it was just the raiser and you felt your re-raise would knock out all other players, then you could re-raise.

You have a vulnerable hand. There are many overcards to your 9's that could beat you. Raise and bet to protect your hand. In other words, definitely raise the flop.

The turn is tricky, so I'll just say Clarkmeister knows his schtuff.

There are 4 cards that give you a boat. You have a 2 in 23 (basically 1 in 12) chance of hitting your boat. There are 19.5 big bets in the pot, and you have to add 1 more, giving you more than the odds to call, and you'll probably get a raise or two in there so easy call.

T

Catch of the Day
02-10-2004, 04:35 AM
First off, I want to welcome you to the forum. You did a nice Job on this post, keep it up.

Hmm...

With no real reads I wouldnt be re-raiseing with 99. I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish. With three limpers to him the cut-off more than likely has a legitimate raising hand. If you are trying to limit the field, then okay alright, but then you have to think about what your post flop play is going to be.

Flop: I like the raise here, You shouldn't, in any way slow down to a flop like this. However, In betting out with no over cards falling, It seems to me like the CO could have over pair that has you beat 10,10 JJ QQ...

Turn: I wouldn't of bet here. A check by the SB, BB, reaks of a check-raise...Most legitimate drawing hands on the previous streets that would call multiple betts cold pre-flop and 2 more bets on the flop have improved. Like you said, A slowplayed set that just, hit his boat, any flush, low pair with a high spade that just tripped up...I wouldnt want to give any hands like these an opportunity to check raise. I would have seen the free card, and prayed for a 9.
And you woulda seen it apparently...You woulda got plenty of action still on the river with a check there, and you would saved 2 bb if you didnt improve. You did however have the odds to call here. I mean you for sure have two outs which give you 22:1 against but if you do hit you will gain bets on the river, and if the two {6} outs are clean, then you have 11.5:1 so yeah the call is OKAY....

I mean I think you leaked a few bets. The three bet pre-flop is questionable, but I think you can argue for it either way. Thats when a feel for the table really helps. If you just call there, then you hope all call, and that you hit your set, if you raise you hope to limit the field and isolate the CO who you think is on overs. The flop bet by the CO says a lot to you too. You have to think on multiple levels here. You not only need to think about what you have in comparison to what you think your oponent has, but what your opponent has and what he thinks you have. You 3-bet pre-flop, and then he bets into you on a board with no overs, I wouldnt put him on overs after that, I would put him on an over pair that probably beats yours. So take that into account. If he has you drawing to two outs in this situation, You might want to think about slowing down on the turn.

I mean yeah check through on the turn and See what happens. You wouldnt of lost the CO which would complicate things, but if a non-spade blank comes then yeah call a bet. If you hit your 2/4 outer, then money....If its checked to you, then I would just check through, if you have to call multiple bets I would lay it down as there is no way your hand is good there against three people on a flop as coordinated as that.

Hope this helped,

-Catch-

beta77
02-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Assuming I check behind on the turn here, do I call the inevitable bet to me on the river? To which river cards would I NOT call a bet?

I have been representing the big PP up until the turn. By checking behind, I am showing weakness and assume that people will bet into me with busted draws, overcards, etc.

Thanks for the reply.