PDA

View Full Version : Poker is more about people

waynethetrain
02-09-2004, 09:15 PM
I'm relatively new to Hold'em. I recently bought 7 books on the subject. Most were among the most highly rated books. I've also been watching as much televised poker as possible - which means I never miss one (LOL). I've been absorbing as much as possible while just beginning to play in $1-$2 online games. So far these are my observations. There are some principles, strategies, and hands that all authors agree about and virtually all the players do the same thing with. Some you obviously raise. Some you obviously fold. Then there's a bunch of grey area hands that authors don't agree on - and they all seem to make some sense in their arguments. (I am aware that the appropriate stretegy changes depending on conditions) It seems to me that there really is no right way to play the vast majority of these grey area hands. Even if there are slight measureable mathematical differences between them, those differences are dramatically overwhelmed by your knowledge of the other players, your own instincts at the table, and you own ability to deceive. So why do people debate whether KT is better than JT or vice versa just because one plays better and one is higher etc....? It simply doesn't matter. In the long run, the difference is a monetary non-event. It's knowing what to do at that specific table, at that specific time, against those specific players that dominates the game.

brick
02-09-2004, 11:32 PM
I think what you're saying is more true in higher limits games. I'd say 90% of the situations you'll come across during a 1-2 game can be played in a standard way. Some of these authors may disagree on the surface, but if you narrowed the situation a little further, they would agree more than they disagree.

That said, you will need to put in a lot of hours to understand all the important elements of a particular situation.

tripdad
02-10-2004, 01:04 AM
what you say is true. and the more you play online, the more you will be able to tell if you are ahead or behind in a hand. it's not so much the individual you are reading, but rather his/her betting pattern. it works that way for me anyway.

some people here post hands and ask you to guess what their opponent or they had, and i am terrible at guessing, but if i'm playing in the hand or game, i'm much better at it. i think you will fing the same will be true for you, although it is harder in 1/2 than it is in 2/4 or 3/6.

cheers!

Webster
02-10-2004, 08:10 AM
be VERY carefull about watching the TV games and tryign to copy the play online. Totally different and I normally can tell the guys that watch NL games and then TRY to play Limit.

Remember - a Good NL player will ALWAYS beat a average/poor NL player. Limit is different. A poor Limit player can hold his own FOR A WHILE.