PDA

View Full Version : O8 - correct pot manipulation?

offTopic
02-09-2004, 06:41 PM
2-4 online - it's generally been loose-passive, but this hand was folded to me in the cutoff. I have Ac6c KJ and raise, button coldcalls, and BB calls.

Flop is KQT rainbow.

BB bets - here, I think I want the button to come along cheap, so I just smooth call. if the button raises and the BB calls, I'll go to war, but otherwise I want to let him in...button just calls.

Turn: [KQT] 2, putting 2 diamonds on the board.

BB bets - now, with the flush draw out, I want to go into raising mode, correct? I raise, button coldcalls again, BB 3-bets. Here's the fist real decision point - do I cap now with the nuts, or go for the overcall, fearing redraws? I don't want to be getting freerolled here.

I elected to just call, and the button called.

River: [KQT2] 7 - no flush possible.

BB bets - same deal here: go for overcalls or raise it with the nuts, seems likely I'm chopping.

What do you guys think?

bigpooch
02-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Very reasonable play and makes a lot of sense: you could
have the button call with just a gut shot for half/third or
runner-runner full house (good luck!). Turn play makes
sense too as you may sometimes be in a situation where your
equity stake isn't even 1/3! River play is correct: button
isn't going to pay off with a set against an obvious
straight and once in awhile (admittedly almost never!), you
do scoop!

chaos
02-10-2004, 09:51 AM
I would raise on the flop. I do not want the button to come along cheap if he is holding a set.

I would cap it on the turn. This is low limit and presumably not a very tough game. I want to charge the sets/flush draws the maximum to draw out on me. The button seems to be along for the ride, charge him to play. If it were already heads up on the turn I may back off, affraid I was playing for half of the pot at best.

On the river I would go for the overcall.

ChipWrecked
02-10-2004, 02:09 PM
This was what I was thinking. Could be a flush draw, or button has two pair hoping to spike. Either way, I'd make 'em pay.

Buzz
02-10-2004, 05:04 PM
offTopic -

2nd betting round

"BB bets - here, I think I want the button to come along cheap, so I just smooth call"

I'd raise. You either want the button to fold or pay through the nose.

3rd betting round

"BB bets - now, with the flush draw out, I want to go into raising mode, correct? I raise, button coldcalls again, BB 3-bets. Here's the fist real decision point - do I cap now with the nuts, or go for the overcall, fearing redraws? I don't want to be getting freerolled here."

I'd cap it. Same reasoning as above for second betting round.

4th betting round

"BB bets - same deal here: go for overcalls or raise it with the nuts, seems likely I'm chopping."

Call. This time you're not worried about flushing or pairing. You're not worried about the button drawing out on you. Make it easy for him/her to play.

Buzz

offTopic
02-10-2004, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
offTopic -

2nd betting round

"BB bets - here, I think I want the button to come along cheap, so I just smooth call"

I'd raise. You either want the button to fold or pay through the nose.

3rd betting round

"BB bets - now, with the flush draw out, I want to go into raising mode, correct? I raise, button coldcalls again, BB 3-bets. Here's the fist real decision point - do I cap now with the nuts, or go for the overcall, fearing redraws? I don't want to be getting freerolled here."

I'd cap it. Same reasoning as above for second betting round.

4th betting round

"BB bets - same deal here: go for overcalls or raise it with the nuts, seems likely I'm chopping."

Call. This time you're not worried about flushing or pairing. You're not worried about the button drawing out on you. Make it easy for him/her to play.

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

...and this is why I suck at Omaha-8! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

As to my last decision, I continued to buck the consensus, and raised...the button folded, and the BB called. Fortunately, the BBs thinking was worse than mine, as I scooped. /images/graemlins/confused.gif I was so stunned, I didn't even grab a hand history, but I assume he had a set or J9.

Thanks, all, for the replies - I'll try to think things through more clearly in the future! Until then, I'll be stuck at the low limits...