PDA

View Full Version : Club One in Fresno

JimRivett
02-09-2004, 02:49 PM
We, my wife and I, decided to visit her parents who live just outside of Fresno. They grow grapes in an environment whose summers are as hot as the winters are cold. I may not have been born in Los Angeles but I'm definitely a Southern California guy, and I really don't apptreciate the cooler weather. But I digress, my nephew who has caught the poker bug, enjoys playing in tournaments and Club One offered a tournament last night. I said I would meet him there to cheer him on and play in some of the side games.

Club One is located in downtown Fresno, with underground parking. The place itself is very nice, having a sports book, restaurant, and of course a poker room. It is clean and spacious and the staff are very friendly.

Arriving a couple of hours before my nephew, I took a seat in a 6 handed 20/40 game, the game was loose and aggressive, which surprised me a little considering it was full of white guys, two of whom were older than me! The players however were friendly and everyone was having a good time. My nephew arrived and sweated me for a few hands prior to the tournament starting. When the tournament started our game broke because half the players were playing in it and the rest decided to go home.

I got on the 6/12 board and wandered around a little trying to see how my nephew was doing, it was a little difficult because he was in a table towards the back of the room. After about 10 minutes I was called for the 6/12 game which proved to be much tougher than the 20/40, the players seemed to be taking the game much more serious than those who were in the 20/40.

I hooked up with my nephew during the break and he said he wasn't doing that great, I gave him some encouraging words, but he said he need to start getting cards, c'est la vie! About forty minutes laters he walks over to me with a dissapointed look on his face and I figure that he has busted out. I rack up and we decide to have some dinner and head home. To be honest I was glad to leave that 6/12 game, but I did't want his elimination to be the reason for leaving it.

That's about it, so if you are ever travelling through central California and you feel like playing cards in a clean, pleasant environment, I can recommend Club One.