PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question time..........

MrPack
02-09-2004, 02:34 PM
I'm a newbie to your board, been lurking for about 2-3weeks now at the suggestion of Dynasty from another type of message board, so if this is a dumb question, I'm sure I'll get hammered for it, but here goes......

I seem to do OK for the most part and have moved up to the 3/6 tables at PP, but I know I play wrong a lot of the time, especially in tourneys. My question is, is it the right thing to do playing A-x suited absolutely every time pre-flop, no matter how many bets? I do that, and it seems to work out OK, but lately not as profitable as it used to be.
Also, I routinely muck A(9-2)os nearly every time I get it, unless I'm in late position with only 2-3 limpers, but any raisers and I muck. Same goes for any connectors either suited or not 89 or lower. Same with 10-Jos I muck it every time unless suited. I also cold call a lot........

Let me have it /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks in advance

fluff
02-09-2004, 02:54 PM
"My question is, is it the right thing to do playing A-x suited absolutely every time pre-flop, no matter how many bets?"

No, you ideally want to see the flop as cheap as possible, with as many callers as possible. For this to be true, you either are in late position where you can verify this is true (ie. lots of limpers, no raisers already in the pot), or be in a loose-passive game.

"Also, I routinely muck A(9-2)os nearly every time I get it, unless I'm in late position with only 2-3 limpers, but any raisers and I muck."

You can improve this by mucking Axo everytime, unless you're completing BB (edit: should've read SB, obviously) or defending a steal.

Lost Wages
02-09-2004, 02:57 PM
If you are playing 3/6 and have not read "Holdem Poker for Advanced Players" (HEPFAP) then you are throwing your money away. Stop playing and start reading.

As for your questions, Ace-little suited should be mucked to a single raise. Axo should almost never be played for a full bet. The exception being to steal the blinds. Don't play offsuit connectors lower than JTo or suited connectors lower than 54s in late position for a single bet.

Welcome to the forum.

Lost Wages

MrPack
02-09-2004, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are playing 3/6 and have not read "Holdem Poker for Advanced Players" (HEPFAP) then you are throwing your money away. Stop playing and start reading.

As for your questions, Ace-little suited should be mucked to a single raise. Axo should almost never be played for a full bet. The exception being to steal the blinds. Don't play offsuit connectors lower than JTo or suited connectors lower than 54s in late position for a single bet.

Welcome to the forum.

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

The book should be here today or tomorrow. I also bought Wilsons Turbo Texas Hold Em'.

tripdad
02-09-2004, 06:03 PM
i don't put much stock in suited connectors, either. gotta have at least 5 to the flop for it to be profitable, so in ep, always muck'em. in lp, muck'em if there is a raise, OR if less than 3 callers to you +bb.

as for AXs, i play'em the same, though i will stand a raise if enough callers to the flop.

cheers!

LetsRock
02-09-2004, 06:36 PM
I've removed Axo from my game plan everywhere but Blinds and sometimes button or rarely CO. I don't miss them (unless I see the old Axx flop!).

I will try to play Axs from almost anywhere, but usually not if it's been raised (or I expect raises) and never for mulitple raises. They're huge drawing hands, but can payoff bigtime if they hit.

Welcome to the forum.

BigBaitsim (milo)
02-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Lose the Axo. I play ATo only from LP. I think Axs plays from any position unraised, but it needs to be dumped sometimes even when the A hits if the flush is nowhere to be seen. Unpainted suited connectors need many callers and are risky if you get top pair or middle pair as they can be big losers as your kicker is crap.

Welcome to the board. Post some hands, the help is invaluable.