PDA

View Full Version : AJs

BottlesOf
02-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Too aggressive on flop? Was the lack of river bet a mistake?

I get A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG+1 and open raise, UTG+3 calls, folds around.

*** FLOP *** : [ 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif]

I bet, he raises, I 3-bet, he calls.

*** TURN *** : 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif [ 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif]
I bet, he calls.

*** RIVER *** : 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif [2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif]

I check, he checks

Results to follow.

CPA
02-09-2004, 01:49 PM
I think I would have bet the river here because of his flop raise/call. If I had to guess, I would put him on a jack with a worse kicker that got scared you had the third 6.

Would your opponent raise just a flush draw? If the answer is no, then it is a bet on the river.

I like these posts because I always seem to wiff in this situation

CrackerZack
02-09-2004, 01:52 PM
I'm generally a quid pro quo responder recently so here I am. You don't say what UTG+3 does PF so I'm guessing he calls and the blinds fold.

I like the flop 3-bet. I'd bet this river unless I had notes that the player was very tricky and likely to bluff raise the flush on the river. Then I like the check. Its probably still a bet but since you'd have to pay off a raise, its a lot closer. With no info, I'm betting the river though.

Nottom
02-09-2004, 01:58 PM
I think you played it fine until the river where you need to bet.

You likely chopped with another AJ or beat KJ here.

BottlesOf
02-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Guy fliped over QQ.

What a wimp.

Think my lack of river bet cost me the pot?

morgant
02-09-2004, 02:30 PM
should bet the river here, i would think that i am chopping or outkicking him....now after the fact, there is no way he would have folded to a river bet(at least i don't think, his play is super weak/tight up to that point but still dont think he is folding), so your overcautious check saved a bb /images/graemlins/smile.gif

what do you think you were up against? did he have the ability to raise a flush draw?

CPA
02-09-2004, 02:31 PM
I don't think the lack of a river bet cost you the pot....he was going to call no matter what.

maurile
02-09-2004, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Think my lack of river bet cost me the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]
No way. He definitely calls with an overpair on the river.

sfer
02-09-2004, 03:17 PM
Let's say the opponent 3-bets PF. Bet into him on the flop and 3-bet if raised, bet-call, checkraise, or check-call?

tripdad
02-09-2004, 06:16 PM
"did he have the ability to raise a flush draw?"

does this take special ability? i thought that was a pretty standard play, as i often do and often see others do to get a free river card.

cheers!

BigBaitsim (milo)
02-09-2004, 06:21 PM
I like the flop three-bet. I think betting the river here in the right play, but it would have cost you another BB because he would have called.

BottlesOf
02-09-2004, 06:29 PM
I saw this comment too and thought about posting a reply. Since you did, I will also.

The answer is (as remarkable as this seems) "Yes!"

Raising flush draws is often the correct play, and I take it for granted that a significant percentage of my opponents do not realize this, and would not think of doing it.

"Ability" is the perfect word to use here, as many people do not have the requisite skills to realize why this may be the correct play. I give thanks to the poker god every day that this is the case /images/graemlins/smirk.gif