PDA

View Full Version : How much to tip?

prairieboy
02-09-2004, 12:32 PM
I just returned from a Vegas weekend and had an absolute blast playing in the NL 2-5 game at the Monte Carlo (They spread it on Fri & Sat only, arrive early and expect to wait).

I (almost) always tip the dealer when I win a hand, and usually tip more for a big pot than a small one, but wasn't sure how far to apply this principle to NL. If I tip $2 for a $50 pot, what should I tip for a $400 pot? Do the tips keep growing with the pot or is there a reasonable maximum?

Most of the other players seemed to cap their tips at about $2, but I'm not sure if they're just cheap bastar** or if that was appropriate.

Paul2432
02-09-2004, 01:08 PM
Tipping is a matter of personal preference, but if you want to "do as the romans do" then $1 or $2 is fine regardless of the size of the pot.

Paul

HDPM
02-09-2004, 01:34 PM
If you want to tip huge that's fine. But $1 is a decent tip. I might tip $2 on a big pot. And I might tip slightly more in NL since the game is slower if the dealer is good. I would not tip $2 on a $50 pot. If I won a 5-10K pot in a NL game that was a major pot for my bankroll, etc, I would tip $5-$15. But I am a big tipping tourist type. Really, tipping $1 can eat you alive. I know people make fun of the las vegas people who demand a chop and tip .50 but it adds up if you play full time. Since I don't play full time I don't worry about it. But $2 on a dinky $50 pot will hurt you unless you play very occasionally. The dealer has to deal about the same for a small pot as a big one. I tip about the same too, although I have tipped $2 once in a while. It isn't like a restaurant where you tip a % of the pot. But in the end, if you want to keep tipping huge, go ahead. $2 is a big tip, don't criticize the players tipping "only" $2. BTW, I am a big tipper by Vegas standards and one of my friends who has played there over 20 years gets mad at me for tipping too much. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

TripDuck
02-09-2004, 02:00 PM
I reward good behavior. If I am holding pocket 8's and one hits the flop and I take down the pot, I will tip generously. Big pots = Big tips. Small pots = small tip.

deathtoau
02-09-2004, 02:08 PM
I firmly believe that pot size should have less to do with the tip and the quality of the dealer should have more. Even if I only win a small pot from a good dealer, I will tip more than if I win a big pot from a bad dealer. In my own simple way, I try to reward those who do a good job and penalize those who don't.

Of course, those places that have tip sharing really get on my nerves. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Andy B
02-09-2004, 02:13 PM
I tip $1 whether the pot is $20 or $2000.

TripDuck
02-09-2004, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tip $1 whether the pot is $20 or $2000.

[/ QUOTE ]You must be popular at Canterbury.

Kidding!