PDA

View Full Version : BB/hr rate

Irishboy
02-09-2004, 09:35 AM
What is a typical BB/hr rate? After 1500 hands in my pokertracker (not a very big sample), I'm averaging a little over 3 big bets per hour.

Is this typical, high, or low?

Trix
02-09-2004, 10:08 AM
It depends on how bad your opponents are and how good you are.
Anyways try searching for hourly rate or such, im sure you will find plenty.
-Trix

Nottom
02-09-2004, 11:56 AM
1500 hands is nothing. 3BB/hr is a bit on the high side but probably doable at the lower limits for an excellent player.

fluff
02-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Typical sustainable win-rate is around 2BB/hr at low limit online.

However 1500 hands is way too little a sample size. After 10,000 hands you'll have a clearer idea.

Jezebel
02-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Something to keep in mind is that winrate by itself has very little meaning. You really need to compare your standard deviation to your winrate. A losing player that has a very high standard deviation can log an impressively high "win rate" even after several hundred hours, but will eventually go broke. Most solid players are going to have a Standard Deviation around 8 - 10X their winrate. The higher your SD, the longer it will take to determine the accuracy of your "winrate". Keep this in mind when you hear people state a gaudy BB per hour number. There is a good chance they are telling the truth, but don't realize how much of an effect variance can have, even after hundreds of hours of play.

If a winning player has a SD that is 10 times their true hourly rate, then in order to be 90% confident that their hourly rate is accurate to within 10%, they would have to play 25,600 hours, which is about 13 years of full time play.*

*= Credit to 2+2er BruceZ

Bob T.
02-09-2004, 01:51 PM
Because he is playing online (and collecting data with pokertracker), where you get about twice as many hands per hour, I would expect that his SD would be more in the range of 12-14 per hour.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Jezebel
02-09-2004, 02:17 PM
I would agree that your SD will be higher on the net, but so should your winrate per hour. The relationship of BB/hour to SD should be about the same as B&M play, shouldn't it? (i.e. if his SD is 14 BB an hour, then a reasonable winrate should be 1.4 bb to 1.75 bb an hour)

Bob T.
02-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Actually not, because winrate should increase linearly with more hands, but SD increases as the square root of the number of hands. That is why, if you are a winning player, your income could be more regular if you play online.

Instead of winning 1BB with a SD of 10, you could win 2BB with a SD of 14.

Good luck,
Play well,

Bob T.