PDA

View Full Version : Clubbing

Nate tha' Great
02-09-2004, 02:46 AM
I was feeling frisky tonight and stuck around at a table with a trio of empty seats. Both of my opponents are reasonable players - e.g. they understand that it's a different game 3-handed than 6-handed, and have lowered their raising standards accordingly. BB is both more aggressive and more skillful than Button.

Party Poker 5/10 (3 handed)
NateThaGreat has 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif and is SB

Button raises, NateThaGreat calls, BB 3-bets, Button calls, NateThaGreat calls

Flop(9 SB): 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif

NateThaGreat checks, BB bets, Button raises, NateThaGreat calls, BB calls

Turn(7 1/2 BB): A/images/graemlins/heart.gif

NateThaGreat bets, BB calls, Button calls

River(10 1/2 BB): 6/images/graemlins/club.gif

NateThaGreat bets, BB raises, Button calls, NateThaGreat double-checks the board and 3-bets, BB caps, Button folds, NateThaGreat calls

Okay, a couple of obvious questions.

1) The flat call before the flop ... poor? I didn't necessarily think that my hand was any worse than something that Button would raise with - that said, it might not be any better & she's got position. For some reason I convinced myself that the suitedness of the cards made a call okay, as opposed to 3-bet/fold.*

2) I didn't bet out on the flop because I thought that BB would almost certianly raise and I'd rather play the hand 2-handed than 3-handed. Bad thought? Do I have enough equity in my ace high that I'm better off hoping that he does raise and I can play out the hand h/u? (Note that I don't give a lot of credit to his 3-bet before the flop).

3) Betting out on the turn when my ace hit ... in some sense, I thought this was a pretty straightforward information/value bet, but I also thought by playing it this way I might be able to get a bit more action on the river in case the flush hit, 'cuz up until then it seems rather self-evident that I'm on a draw.

BB's holding is pretty obvious. Nice river.

___
* Ran some twodimes simulations after the hand and found that the presence of a third "random" hand (e.g. BB's hand) takes away more equity from Axs than, say, KTo, which is roughly the holding that I'd assign to my opponent. So that's an argument for 3-betting.