View Full Version : playin' passively

bernie
02-09-2004, 12:12 AM
mucks 10-20

new to the must move game.

im in BB with 43o.

4 or 5 limpers

flop comes 2 3 8 rainbow

checked to CO who bets (my read was more of a positional bet than a strong bet), 1 caller to me, i call along with another guy.

turn 5 os

checked to the bettor, who bets, only i call

river 4

check, bet, i call

MHIG

i didnt like how i played this when i thought about it afterwards. thoughts?

b

chim17
02-09-2004, 01:47 AM
Is 43o worth a call even if its just a positional bet? I imagine I would muck it right there. On the turn I would call as you have a lot of outs, although the 4 out may not be clean at all (as was seen).

Otherwise you gotta call the river. He's not gonna call a raise without a straight, so you'll still get the one bet off of him. A raise wouldn't do any good here I'd imagine. But I would pay him off if he has the Ace since TPTK or overpair would bet after checked to for value.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
02-09-2004, 02:00 AM
I think I would either lead or checkraise the flop. Probably lead out, you have no indication anyone will bet this flop, you probably have the best hand at this point, and it's VERY vulnerable.

BugsBunny
02-09-2004, 02:12 AM
The only comment I have is that if I decide to play this hand after the CO bets then I probably play it for a raise and see what happens. You're in the BB - you can have anything, from a flopped 2 pair, to a set, to bottom pair. So represent "something".

If you don't take the pot down right there then I'd lead out again on the turn (with this card falling - maybe with any card - depends on how many stayed with you after the c/r, your reads etc).

The other option is to just call the flop (as you did) and then, when the 5 fell c/r the CO then and represent the made str8. But it can get more expensive this way and I'd prefer to c/r the flop - especially since you don't know what the turn will bring.

slavic
02-09-2004, 02:49 AM
Bernie - it's a check raise on the flop here. If you think your hand is good you have to put in overcard protection because any card that comes you hate.

steveyz
02-09-2004, 02:50 AM
I'd check-raise this flop, then lead out on the turn then depending on the cards, bet or check/call the river. Even if CO made a positional bet, he must have 2 over cards to your pair so he could easily outdraw you. Calling down a positional better is rarely a good idea unless you aren't afraid of overcards.

Mike Haven
02-09-2004, 05:56 AM
Is this the opposite to the "I had 98s and some calling-station called all the way - how do you get them to fold?" post?

I hope you didn't miss this excellent opportunity to say "Any two can win!" as you dragged the pot?

bernie
02-09-2004, 11:20 AM
the guy who lost had something like 92s. he sat and stared at me for about 3 hands.

b