PDA

View Full Version : Aces fastplay

Coilean
02-08-2004, 07:01 PM
80-160, A/images/graemlins/club.gifA/images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB. Tight/aggressive UTG open raises, folded to me, I 3-bet, he calls.

8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif7/images/graemlins/spade.gif4/images/graemlins/heart.gif: I bet, he raises, I reraise, he calls.

7/images/graemlins/club.gif: I bet, he raises, I reraise, he 4-bets, I call.

8/images/graemlins/club.gif. I bet. Comments?

mikelow
02-08-2004, 07:09 PM
I like the way you played it. He's got QQ or KK.

gaylord focker
02-08-2004, 08:56 PM
You've big nuts, but he's either gonna show you the other two aces or pocket kings. If you can bet the river, why didn't you five bet the turn? Were you worried about 88 until the other one showed on board? Also, maybe you could have checkraised him on the river, although it would suck to pay off a 3 bet. Unless he is unaware of the fact that you would not reraise out the BB with an 8, perhaps you could have considered it. I think you played it well, I hope he doesnt show you quads.

DanZ
02-08-2004, 09:25 PM
Someone's going way overboard with 1 pair, and I hope it's not you. If you judge the player to be very good, you've given too much action here.

Dan Z.

elysium
02-08-2004, 09:44 PM
hi coil
the only thing i see here is that on the pre-flop, it's a good idea to call the UTG raiser from the BB when it's heads-up. the value derived from keeping your hand concealed when heads up against the UTG raiser is greater than the extra bet.

having reraised pre-flop, you played it fine. you played it better than i would have. usually, opponents aren't as aggressive as this one. he really is an aggressive like you say.

Coilean
02-09-2004, 06:49 PM
He called and mucked when I showed my aces, so almost certainly had KK. I was becoming afraid of 88 on the turn, but the 2nd 8 on the river made me like my hand better (although I was probably going to bet the river anyways). I'm a little miffed that I didn't go for the river check raise, but I was afraid he might be going for ole free-showdown-after-turn-powerplay trick.

Coilean
02-09-2004, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the only thing i see here is that on the pre-flop, it's a good idea to call the UTG raiser from the BB when it's heads-up. the value derived from keeping your hand concealed when heads up against the UTG raiser is greater than the extra bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

80 players are very aggressive. Slowplaying your big hands against them is often a mistake because they are sometimes willing to go to war with an overpair or top pair, depending on how you have represented your hand. And a lot of them would slowplay my aces preflop like you suggest, so I consider my preflop reraise to have nearly as much deception as a call, while also sending a don't f--- with my blinds message and putting more money in the pot while I have the nuts.

DcifrThs
02-09-2004, 07:09 PM
agreed and agreed. very much so! raise here for all the reasons you stated.

on the turn. how well do you know this UTG raiser? is it POSSIBLE he raised utg w/ 88 or77. if the answer to this question is no then you know his hand. further, if the answer is no then i'd 5bet the turn w/ no hesitation b/c again..you know his hand. if 88/77 IS possible then clearly slowing down is a good idea. but heads up w/ an aggressive player on the 160 street when you know his likely hands is a RARE opportunity to make some great money. its also where it pays to really know your man. if he's "willing to go to war" then by all means, fire at will!!!! and you can even, for the fun of it, do the 'ol mike caro double fisted overhand raises "cackeling 'i make it more'" lol...

just for sh--s and giggles, you know ;-)
-Barron