PDA

View Full Version : AA play

looseasyourmom
02-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Game: No-limit loose passive home game. $20 buy in.
Table: Seven players.
Position: SB

I got dealt AA in the SB and everyone limps to me. I raise 2x the blinds and four people call. The flop comes 4h9c10d. I bet the same and everyone calls. The turn comes up a Jc, so now there's a straight draw. I go all-in here, not wanting to risk someone's backdoor straight falling. Everyone folds to me and I win the pot. Was this the correct move? Should I have stayed in for the last card, gone all-in, or made another play? I'm new at this so I would appreciate all comments or suggestions.

bunky9590
02-08-2004, 06:49 PM
I would have bet bigger on the flop.

I don't know about all in on the turn, pot sized bet would be plenty.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
02-08-2004, 08:05 PM
Post in the no-limit forum, you'll get more responses.

BugsBunny
02-08-2004, 08:53 PM
How about betting bigger preflop? Since everyone called how about betting at that point say 5-6x blinds? Family pots and bullets don't get along - I'd rather try and take the pot down right there - and if someone wants to come along for a 5x bet then I'm fine with it. Or at least 4x blinds. I think 2x was too small.

Nottom
02-09-2004, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I got dealt AA in the SB and everyone limps to me. I raise 2x the blinds and four people call.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really need to raise a bit more here. You are in the worst position so are likely to lose a lot of money if someone flops good against you, so you would really like to trim down some of the players in a NL game. If everyone already limped there are basically 7BBs in the pot, you should be raising 5BBs minimum in this situation.

On the flop you bet is even worse, since the pot is now about 15BBs and you are betting 2BB. This gives basically every imaginable draw the odds to call you.

On the turn you seem to be making the opposite mistake, by maybe betting too big. I don't know how big the pot is or how big the stacks are since you never say the size of the blinds or your stack, but you are now basically putting yourself in a position where only a hand that is beating you will call (although you may get flush and straight chasers as well if the games if loose).