PDA

View Full Version : Help w/HU play

me454555
02-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Hero has 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is SB

Button folds, Hero raises, BB calls

Flop(4 SB): 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero bets, BB calls

Turn(3 BB): K/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero bets, BB calls

River(5 BB): 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, BB bets, Hero calls

Results in white: <font color="white"> BB had QK </font>

Comments appreciated

Nate tha' Great
02-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Looks fine in the abstract, though you should tell us something about your opponent.

Your hand is showdown-able, so I think the river check-call is fine, and that you'll induce a fair number of bluffs from missed draws and so forth.

Nate tha' Great
02-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Okay, so I peeked at the results now. It looks like you posted this hand because BB had top two pair and was way, way ahead of you. It certainly *feels* kinda humbling when something like that happens. But it ain't the margin of victory that counts in poker, he played his hand like an idiot, and you need to keep the aggression up in h/u play with any reasonable holding.

me454555
02-08-2004, 04:59 PM
w/a flush draw on the board, I definatly agree. If there wasn't any significant draw on the board, do you still call this one down?

Nate tha' Great
02-08-2004, 06:57 PM
If he still called after a king comes on the board, and there were no draw, I think it would be safe to check-fold the river, though obviously it depends on your opponent. I probably check-call a bit too much.

DonWaade
02-08-2004, 07:17 PM
You did not say anything about the type of player that you were against, but I would guess he/she was not the best player on the table. I am cautious almost to a fault but you had two overcards and were drawing to 6 outs. The person you were playing against was not going to go away even before the riv when they made top two pair. . .

me454555
02-08-2004, 07:28 PM
I just sat down on the table and had no real read on the guy. Given his passive play of tptk on the flop and top 2 on the turn, I don't think I could play this any differently untill the river regardless of the read I had.

chesspain
02-08-2004, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...he played his hand like an idiot, and you need to keep the aggression up in h/u play with any reasonable holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I agree with this characterization of the opponent, who finds himself having just flopped TP/great kicker against an apparent steal attempt. Even though he gave Hero a chance to outdraw him, it also allowed the opponent to lose the least if he was up against KK, QQ, AQ/AA(until the turn), and win the most if was calling bets made by a worse hand. Indeed, if opponent had raised on the flop, Hero might well have folded. Furthermore, if opponent had raised on the turn, Hero might have been correct to fold there as well, with those two overcards on the board. However, by only calling through the turn, opponent sets up the possibility for a river raise, or at the very least, a crying call from an opponent who might not have called a turn raise.

Consequently, I sort of like opponent's bluff-catcher play.

Nate tha' Great
02-08-2004, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I agree with this characterization of the opponent, who finds himself having just flopped TP/great kicker against an apparent steal attempt. Even though he gave Hero a chance to outdraw him, it also allowed the opponent to lose the least if he was up against KK, QQ, AQ/AA(until the turn), and win the most if was calling bets made by a worse hand. Indeed, if opponent had raised on the flop, Hero might well have folded. Furthermore, if opponent had raised on the turn, Hero might have been correct to fold there as well, with those two overcards on the board. However, by only calling through the turn, opponent sets up the possibility for a river raise, or at the very least, a crying call from an opponent who might not have called a turn raise.

Consequently, I sort of like opponent's bluff-catcher play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he should have raised before the flop.

Checking the turn is a good play on his part once he's got top two pair.

I'm sort of indifferent about the flop.