PDA

View Full Version : Sunday penance: still feeling guilty for sucking out

sweetjazz
02-08-2004, 11:07 AM
In my home game last night, for the first time I sucked out a hand on the river where I shouldn't have been there. Here's the hand -- all criticisms appreciated:

I'm in the BB with 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in a 5-handed game that has been playing real loose and pretty aggressive for the entire night. UTG open raises (he's been raising about 30%-40% of hands all night), folded to the small blind who calls (SB has been seeing >50% of flops and about 80% of flops from his blinds -- any two will do approach). I call the single raise.

Flop comes Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif. SB bets, I raise, UTG folds, SB reraises, I call.

(The first raise by SB definitely said nothing more than that he probably has a pair, and he's been playing treys and deuces often so far. But the second reraise was unusual -- he usually slowed down a lot when I played back at him.) I thought I played the flop well until the reraise came and I was caught off guard. Should I reraise hear and fold if he raises back or leads out on the turn (assuming I don't spike a 6)?

Turn comes K /images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB leads out and bets, and I call. I think at this point I have to seriously consider a laydown; in the heat of the moment I convinced myself that he might have overplayed A3 or A2 or been pushing a heart draw, so I wanted to call him down. But while he has sometimes played this aggressive before, he wasn't playing that way last night and I just ignored my observation of his play because I wanted to believe my 6s might be good.

Anyway, after I made the call I had a sinking suspicion that I had 2 outs, and only one of which was completely clean.

And what do you know, the river comes the beautiful 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I got in quite a few raises at the end with the fourth nuts, and ended up pulling in a big pot. SB had KQo.

I'd definitely appreciate suggestions for where I went wrong in this hand, and thanks for reading this. I will have to bear this guilt until our next home game, when I will hopefully fold in all situations when I have the chance to go to the river with a near certainly of having only a handful of outs in a small pot.

ZeeJustin
02-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Playing this hand is very opponent dependant, so it's really hard to critique your play.