PDA

View Full Version : JTc to a loss. HELP

ThinkQuick
02-08-2004, 05:47 AM
First 'story', please forgive any mistakes
3/6 Hold'em, 2:00am
Hero is the dealer with J /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif.
Two middle position players limp in, as does Hero.
SB Folds, BB checks.

Flop 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked to Hero who bets. BB folds, the two others call.

Turn [5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif] 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

MP1 bets, MP2 calls, Hero raises. MP1 calls, MP2 folds.
MP1 has been seing maybe 1 in 5 flops, but seems to never fold until the turn or river.

River: [5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif] Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MP1 Bets, Hero fears the overcard that fell and sadly mucks his hand: $&%$# rivered.

MP1 flips his hand over smiling to everyone, and although it looks like garbage from far away, it turned out he'd turned the full house: 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif
--
Is there anything I could've done to keep my chips?
As I write this, looking back on the people in the game, I think I should've raised preflop, but after the flop I don't know what I would do different next time.
Could you even play this hand in a different way postflop?
In retrospect it was a good fold for reasons other than I thought, but would you have made the same one? There was no real reason to suspect he had a Queen, or anything for that matter, maybe I should've thought he had a smaller ten... oy, please help.

crockpot
02-08-2004, 07:30 AM
i wouldn't raise preflop. your hand prefers a large field and a cheap flop, and you help deny both with your raise.

not sure i would raise the turn. it rarely gets anyone out, and your hand isn't all that great to begin with. and with the pot the size that it is, you ought to call the river. had you just called on the turn your river play is a closer call.

ThinkQuick
02-08-2004, 05:26 PM
I hope crockpot or someone can help explain why it was bad to raise the turn.
I agree I was trying to get people out, so the raise may have been bad for that, but it would've been a wacky board for most callers and I thought I could have the pot.
At the turn I had top pair on the board and a kicker that would play. I feared a high pocket pair, but I suspected it would have prompted a bet preflop or on the flop.
Additionally, I tried to prove to myself that noone had trips, and I thought I did after my raise wasn't three-bet.Jeez though, Why did I fold the river?

Anyways was it a bad move to raise at the turn?