PDA

View Full Version : AQo on the button

dirty_dan
02-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Party 2/4 8-handed

UTG, UTG+1, MP limp, I raise with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ/images/graemlins/heart.gif on the button, BB and limpers call. 5 to the flop

Flop (5bb): 8/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/heart.gif2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to MP who bets, I raise, BB and MP call. 3 to the turn

Turn (8bb): 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to me, I bet, BB raises.

Call or Fold?

Nate tha' Great
02-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Fold, dude.

The BB called two cold on a board with no draws.

You've got ace high.

Fold.

maurile
02-07-2004, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Turn (8bb): 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked to me, I bet, BB raises.

[/ QUOTE ]
Was that a value bet, hoping to get called by Kx or worse? Or were you protecting your hand, hoping to chase people out before they could catch a pair on the river? The only hands that can call you will beat you (or at least tie you), so I might have taken a free card here.

Anyway, a call on the turn will cost you 2 more big bets, since you can be fairly sure the BB will bet out on the river.

(I assume MP folded to the BB's turn-raise? If not, this is a very easy fold for you.)

The size of the pot makes a call enticing. But I think you're looking at splitting the pot at best here, and are very likely beat. (If BB has a pocket pair, you've got three outs on the river, but you don't want to chase in that situation.) I think a fold is in order. If he was bluffing, good for him.

chesspain
02-07-2004, 11:19 PM
The phrase for this hand is "el foldo." At best, you're chopping, although BB's coldcall on the flop and his betting out on the turn suggest that whatever he has is better than what you have.

maurile
02-07-2004, 11:36 PM
One more thought. Although I think folding is your best option, I like reraising a lot better than calling. Reraising could get the BB to fold an ace that would otherwise have split the pot with you.

Also, reraising here but then folding to any additional action from the BB is the same price as calling the turn raise and a river bet.

Mike Gallo
02-07-2004, 11:53 PM
Call or Fold?

Wow /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Did you go to a poker game or a gun fight? /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

JTG51
02-08-2004, 12:01 AM
Yeah, what Nate said.

Also, this seems like a really good time to check behind on the turn and take a free card. You are probably going to get check raised more often than you are going to win the pot with a turn bet.

GuyOnTilt
02-08-2004, 12:32 AM
After you raise the flop and get cold-called in 2 places, you couldn't FORCE me to bet the turn when checked to. A check/cold-call on that board screams trips. You should be done with this hand after the flop.

GoT

webiggy
02-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Agreed!

Different story if you're heads-up preflop, maybe. The fact that you've got four limpers the odds of someone with an 8 or a moderate pair is trouble for you. Hell, the BB could have called with A2 for all you know.

Bad flop with too many players to make this play profitable. Fold on the flop.