PDA

View Full Version : Checkcalling it down with the Royal Couple

chesspain
02-07-2004, 07:59 PM
Party 1/2...typical calling station table, but no reads on my main opponent, who indentified himself after this hand as a newbie 2+2er...

I'm in the BB and dealt Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif

Folded to MP (2+2er) who raises, folded to button who coldcalls, SB calls, I call...four to the flop for 8SB.

7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, I check, MP bets, folded back to me and I raise, MP three-bets, I call...heads-up to the turn for 7BB.

[7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif] 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Since I do not know MP's openraising standards, I am either way behind to AA, KK, AQ, QQ, and 99, and way ahead of TT, JJ, AK, or QJs. Consequently, I decide to check it down, on the theory that this will allow me to lose the least if I am behind but win the most if he will continue to bet into me with a worse hand, especially if he thinks I may be on a club draw. I check, MP bets, I call...9BB.

[7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif] 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, MP bets (I guess he's not putting me on clubs), I call...

How well did I play this?

brian0729
02-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Hey Chess,

I like the flop C/R this time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I think after he three bets your C/R you can safely go into call down mode for the reasons you stated. Well played IMO.

Then I think he showed you AQ.

chesspain
02-07-2004, 09:30 PM
MP showed Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif, and MHIG

Brian
02-07-2004, 09:58 PM
Hi Chess,

Very similiar to a hand on Small Stakes right now by GuyOnTilt. He bet out on the Flop and was raised, and then spiked two pair on the Turn. I suggested that he check-raise the Flop to get the other player out, and if he's 3-bet, he can go into check-call mode.

-Brian

[EDIT]: I made that post in about 5 secs, did not realize you were in the BB and the other player was the SB. I would still check-raise the Flop, though.