PDA

View Full Version : Next steps in reading

TriciaToyota
02-07-2004, 06:13 PM
Some background. I've been playing 0.5/1 and some 1/2 for about 5 months now, around 50 hours/month. My reading so far has been Warren's Teaches... (fortunately I only used this to understand minimal HE play), Carson's Complete Book... (only some selections), Winning Low Limit Hold'Em, HEFAP, and just finished TOP. Of course, I really enjoyed the last two, especially TOP and plan to go through these every few months, absorbing the subtleties as I can.

Very soon I plan on testing the waters at 2/4. So what would be the recommended next step in reading to best prepare me for the 2/4 (and eventually 3/6, 5/10) type games? I plan to stick primarily with limit and all online. In my estimation I specifically need to continue to refine the "aggressive" in T/A but players who have been there will probably know better what I should work on.

Some of the books that are frequently recommended and seem applicable: Gambling Theories and Other Topics, Getting the Best of It, The Psychology of Poker, and Inside the Poker Mind.

Which, if any, of these would be most appropriate (or something entirely different)? I appreciate any recommendations.

uuDevil
02-07-2004, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of the books that are frequently recommended and seem applicable: Gambling Theories and Other Topics, Getting the Best of It, The Psychology of Poker, and Inside the Poker Mind.

Which, if any, of these would be most appropriate (or something entirely different)? I appreciate any recommendations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tricia,

"Gambling Theory and Other Topics" and "Inside the Poker Mind" are the 2 on your list I would most recommend. Also, you might want to get Ciaffone's "Middle Limit Holdem" and Hilger's "Internet Texas Holdem." In addition, Ed Miller's forthcoming book will certainly be worth a look.

BTW, Mason Malmuth has a book review thread here:

Reviews (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=450677&page=&view=&sb =5&o=)

Good Luck!

Allan
02-07-2004, 06:38 PM
do a search for "skp's list" Its a good syllabus.

Allan

Sheriff Fatman
02-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Tricia

Based on the play at 2/4 at Party I don't think you particularly need any further reading for these games specifically. You already have, in HPFAP and TOP, the best advice available. Also, much of WLLHE still applies.

I've just finished GTOT and, although I enjoyed it immensely I don't think it will add much to your specific goal of moving up limits at online Hold Em. I'd recommend Middle Limit Hold Em as your next purchase as this provides Hold Em specific advice and includes many example hands, although the advice is a little debatable in places.

Please note I'm not knocking any of the books you listed but it seems like you have a specific plan in mind. Therefore, MLHE is IMO the best book in terms of adding value towards these goals for the amount you spend.

For example, GTOT has sections on Blackjack, Pai Gow Poker and other non-poker sections which may be of little relevance to you at present. It does have good bankroll management advice (with some maths) and a very good section on tournament play which are probably the most relevant sections to you at this time.

I also think you've already hit on the best plan - rereading TOP and HPFAP.

Basically as far as Party 2/4 (and 3/6) goes I doubt you'll find it much different to 1/2 and lower. There are still a load of awful players out there. One thing I would recommend if you're not already using it is PokerTracker as this will help you select the better games at these levels.

Good luck

scotnt73
02-07-2004, 09:02 PM
reread all the ones you have /images/graemlins/grin.gif then pick up winning middle limit holdem. its prob the best of the rest. you might pick up a few more things but the ones you have are superior to all the rest.

Poker blog
02-07-2004, 11:59 PM
I'd recommend Schoonmaker's book for you if it is between the four you mentioned. His essays are particularly valuable for lowlimit players and beginners such as you.

Gambling Theory is necessary reading for the serious player eventually, but not really a next book for you.

Getting the Best of It is also worth a read eventually, but again, it's not the next book for you.

Feeney's "Inside the Poker Mind" is excellent and a personal favorite, but it's more for the player moving up into 10/20 through 20/40. It's not that applicable for you.

Poker blog
02-08-2004, 12:10 AM
I just noticed you didn't limit it to just those four books. So I'll throw out my suggestions.

1. TPFAP. If you want to play tournaments at all, you ought read this.
2. Mason's Poker Essays, volumes 1 through 3. This is all great for thinking about the game.

But really, go back and read HEPFAP again.

djegot
02-08-2004, 03:18 AM
Kick Ass No Limit Holdem.... just read it...its great... funny too!!

crockpot
02-08-2004, 07:06 AM
books you definitely should read:

- middle limit holdem poker
- poker essays I, II, III
- improve your poker
- real poker II: the play of hands

TriciaToyota
02-08-2004, 11:19 AM
The only thing that prevented me from listing Middle Limit Hold'em as a possibility was Mason's review. In particular, the "flaw" he mentions which sounds directly opposed to learning how and when to be more aggressive. Is the flaw fairly easy to tease out and avoid?

A copy of Hilger's book is on the way to me. I got it free by using their bonus code at Empire. Haven't seen too many references to it here though I notice Mason wrote it is similar to the above book to a degree. Anyone else who has read both have a comment on this?

I will definitely look into the Poker Essays and, of course, eagerly await the Miller, Sklansky, and Malmuth collaboration. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Do the essays assume knowledge of the concepts in the preceding volume or can they be read in any order? Are any of the volumes more suitable than the others for where I'm at?

DanZ
02-08-2004, 01:27 PM
no question to me it is Pokler Essays III.

wow. that even rhymes.

Dan Z.

Mano
02-09-2004, 02:47 PM
The soon to be released Hold 'em Poker for Low Limit Players sounds like it will be just what you are looking for. I haven't read any part of it yet, but written by Ed Miller (majorkong) whose opinions I have come to respect a great deal after reading his postings in this forum for the past few years, and Mason highly reccomends it - the fact that 2+2 is publishing it makes me believe it will be very good.

TriciaToyota
02-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Yes, the new 2+2 LL book seems like it will be mandatory /images/graemlins/wink.gif But I think I have some time to get other reading in before it's released.