PDA

View Full Version : AK with Big Stacks PStars $1-$2

theBruiser500
02-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Playing PStars $1-$2 NLHE, have AhKd in the BB, it's like 6 handed. I have about $150, my opponent has me covered. Someone limps in cutoff position, SB calls, I raise to $8, the limper calls, SB folds.

Flop comes, Js 9s 6d. I bet $14, he calls.

Next card is the Kh. I bet $30 into the $50 pot, and I have about $100 left. Is this $30 bet the right play? Should it be more or less or check? This person I'm up against is pretty loose (I saw him call $14 a few minutes ago with J7), but he's still an okay player. I could see him holding a jack here, or 9, or QT, or 8T, or spade draws or two pair. Basically, I think he could have a lot of hands that could beat me, or outdraw me by either getting trips or two pair, or getting a straight or a flush.

In response to my $30 bet, he checkraises me $30 more. I think I need to move in or fold here, if he has a better hand than me, we're getting it all in on the river. If he has a worst hand, he'll just check/fold. So there is $140 in the pot now, I have to call $30, then I could push in for my last $65.

I had a pretty similar hand a little while ago which Tewall commented on. With a few differences, this time I have position on my opponent, the board holds more draws, and my opponent is looser. In the other hand, Tewall suggested I check the turn and see what my opponent does. Thought that was worth noting. Oh yeah, one more thing, with this player, I don't think the min checkraise is necessarily strength. It very well could be, but there's a decent chance it isn't.

What's my play?

thanks
danny

crockpot
02-07-2004, 05:51 PM
does it make sense that he will make this play on a drawing hand? if not, your analysis doesn't hold water. what you're saying is that with a worse hand he will just check-fold on the river. presumably he will fold to an all-in on the turn too, right? and if he will only bet the river with a better hand than yours, just throw yours away on the river when he bets. playing this way saves you $65 when you are behind unless he will check-raise you with a draw.

theBruiser500
02-08-2004, 03:00 PM
I think he might checkraise with a draw though.

danny