PDA

View Full Version : 100-Hour challenge Week One - long

harboral
02-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Last week Posted that I too would try a challenge like those that started on .50/$1 and moved up after gaining a BR of 300 units. I made an adjustment to that idea by saying that I would start with $50 at the .50/$1 limit and move up a limit every 100 hours.........even if I didn't have the entire bankroll. Now there was a reason for this; and although a poster said "alright, so you are going to lose $50 over a real long time", I am sticking with the program. However, if I get to $10/20 or $15/30 and lose half of whatever I take there, I will quit.

A little story about goal orientation and Fixating too heavily on a goal:

I find a good $10/$20 game at the Flamingo Hilton in Reno and sit down with a rack of red. After an hour I am stuck $250 and contemplate getting another rack but finally decide to just nut-it-out and grind my way back to $500 if I can. I play virtually no blinds, raise only with group one hands and have AK and JJ hold-up over the next hour and am just able to break $500 with a $2 pop for the cashier. I walk to a dead table and pick-up a rack, come back to the table and start filling it. The dealer goes ahead and deals me a hand.

Now my general rule has always been that if I get stuck pretty good early, I just try and get even or close and am happy with that. And I usually play $5/10 so this game was tough for me and I really fixated on getting even and getting out. Well, sure enough there are pocket aces in front of me..................so I muck-em and head to the cashier.

For those of you that fainted when you read that last sentence, sorry.........that was my foolish pride fixating on a goal regardless of getting the best hand I had seen all day.

Now this challenge is for myself - so I learn not to FIXATE on a goal, but use it as a tool. Since in the low limits I will be able to crank-out much more than 300 units in 100 hours, I should have a nice cushin by the time I am in 300 or 400 hours. Regardless, I will take a shot at the higher limits knowing my goal was to get there with a bankroll that I am not fretting over since I started with just $50.

Week one and 25 hours in I have gone from $50 to $209 for a win rate of 6.36BB/hour, but I am playing two tables, so per table/hour I am at 3.18BB playing only on Party.

I am also playing other sites and other limits. Played the Zoo Tourny after getting onto True - but didn't care much for the graphics - and took a $27 profit and cashed that out and probably won't play there anymore.

I have also played at Choice which offers a 35% deposit bonus - which is great, but there is usually only one game going, either $1/2 or $2/4. Same players though, so some money can be won.

I will be playing in the Vegas Dreams tourny today at Empire for a $10,000 WSOP seat and that will take some time as well as the Party Million Tourny tomorrow at Party for a nice cruise and seat at the WPT..........so the weekend is going without the challenge.

If this got too boring, let me know and I'll cut it down to only figures in the future. AL