PDA

View Full Version : PLO, playing the second nut flush

Acesover8s
02-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Party $1-$2 PLO. I have $98 in the SB and I call after 6 limpers with Js9sQc7c.

Flop comes K95 with two clubs. I check. UTG bets $5. Next player calls, button calls.

Now here is my dillema. I have the second nuts. There is definitely a flush out there, but probably some set/twopair type hands as well. The flush out there could be the slowplayed nuts (on party they love to incorrectly slowplay) . I hate to check-call here and not protect my hand if its the best, but I also wouldn't mind calling down the Jack high flush.

What is your plan of attack?

In this hand, I raised the pot when it got back to me and all folded.

crockpot
02-07-2004, 04:04 AM
i want to know as much as i can about the other players when answering this. are they the types to flat call a reraise with the nut flush? are they too timid to bet anything but a bluff on a suited board? do they tend to play junk hands or only high cards?

that said, you're right, this is a tough hand to play. folding is a pretty weak play, but if the other players are the type to make an exploratory bet on the flop with a hand like the ten high or jack high flush, and then bet the pot later on, you may be put to a tough decision later. and you don't want to let someone fill up. my rote play is probably to call, bet out on the (non-pairing) turn and fold to a raise.

dogsballs
02-07-2004, 01:21 PM
You mean the flop came with 3 clubs to give you the 2nd nuts? If so, why not bet out with your 2nd flush? The nut flush will let you know either now or on the turn when you bet again.

I don't like the flop raise of a bettor. What if he then just calls with the nuts cos he knows he can then present you with a bill for your stack on the turn, with position (I might do that to you...it worked a charm last night for a monster 300BB pot /images/graemlins/grin.gif)?

With your hand, I like betting out on the flop much better. Things just seem to become clearer that way. Bet again the turn if noone bites back on the flop. By then you should know where you are.

Your flop CR will only drive out the lesser hands that you really want to hang around while donating more than you should to someone who actually has the nut flush.

jmho,
dogs