PDA

View Full Version : Floppet set with pocket 9's

Saborion
02-06-2004, 06:58 PM
3/6 at Party. A bit of everything at this table. 10-handed.
SB seems to be able to play at least somewhat properly.

I'm dealt 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in MP1.
EP3 open-limps, I limp, CO (poster) checks, SB raise, EP3 calls, I call, CO calls.
4 to the flop.

3.5 BB [3 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif]
SB bets, EP3 calls, I raise, CO folds, SB 3-bets, EP3 calls, I cap, they both call.
3 to the turn.

7 BB [3 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif] K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Checked to me, I bet, they both call.
3 to the river.

9.5 BB [3 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif] A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Checked to me, what do I do?

bunky9590
02-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Bet the river

JohnShaft
02-06-2004, 08:04 PM
I'm moving away from Limit lately, so take this with a pinch of salt.

But I think I might well call the SB's Flop 3-bet, and Raise the Turn if a Club doesn't hit.

Advantages?
1. You can probably catch the caller in the middle on the Turn if the SB bets as you would expect.
2. You get a Raise in when it's more expensive for them.
3. You can get that Raise in when it's 4-1 against the Flush, as opposed to 2-1.
4. You are much less likely to be checkraised (by say the made flush) because the best isn't expected to come from you.

Oh, and yes, I'm with Bunky, bet the River like 110% of the time.

Saborion
02-06-2004, 08:21 PM
Yah, I was thinking about that. And when I reviewed the hand, I thought that would be the best option as well.

But I've tried that on occasions, and sometimes the aggressor on the previous round doesn't always bet out. But in the long run, I suppose that's the best option, especially since if the EP bet out it'll make up for the times they don't. And I cannot be check-raised by the flush as you said.

Inthacup
02-06-2004, 08:26 PM
I would still bet, but I fear that you may have been rivered by A /images/graemlins/club.gifA /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Cup

brian0729
02-06-2004, 08:50 PM
Raise pre flop

Bet the river everytime

Saborion
02-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Those were exactly my thoughts at the table. I did bet, and I was rivered.

The question is, could this have been avoided by only calling his 3-bet on the flop, and raised him on the turn if he had be there? If someone had made something like that against me, I would considered myself drawing very slim. I wouldn't fold though, unless I was VERY sure I was dead.

JohnShaft
02-06-2004, 09:11 PM
If he had the A /images/graemlins/club.gif he's obviously not folding.
If you'd Turn raised him then he may have folded, if he was a good player capable of laying down. (a non club AA)

But another reason I bet the River, even though he Rivered the 2-outer is, you're only losing a bet as he is not likely to Checkraise you.
Checking the River would only have Value if he was Checkraising you almost all the time with AA, and on this board, with a caller after him, I just don't think that is going to happen often.

Inthacup
02-06-2004, 10:58 PM
The question is, could this have been avoided by only calling his 3-bet on the flop, and raised him on the turn if he had be there?

There is simply no way you're going to move him off the A /images/graemlins/club.gif. I consider it HIGHLY unlikely that he would fold any high over pair regardless of your flop and turn play. I think you played the hand well.

Cup

Saborion
02-06-2004, 11:14 PM
No, but what if he didn't have the A or K of clubs?

And, if I just had smooth-called his flop 3-bet and raised the turn instead, I'm not as likely to be check-raised by a made flush. Or?

Inthacup
02-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Club or not, I doubt he's gonna fold. If he's got an overpair with no club, do you honestly want him to fold?

Cup

Saborion
02-07-2004, 01:33 AM
No. I guess don't. /images/graemlins/grin.gif