PDA

View Full Version : Top pair, decent kicker... raise or call the flop?

ElSapo
02-06-2004, 05:49 PM
I think there are times I'm forcing worse hands out -- was this one of them?

Party Poker 2/4 (9 handed)
Hero has A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is BB

MP3(poster) checks, Button folds, SB limps, Hero raises, MP3(poster) calls, SB calls

Flop(6 SB): A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets...

LetsRock
02-06-2004, 05:52 PM
I'm raising this one. Flush draw out there and a couple of straight draws. No free rides on this one.

"Fold, damn you, I say FOLD!, Gimme that little pot right now!"

ElSapo
02-06-2004, 05:54 PM
That's what happened, obviously. What do you do on a rainbow board? And does heads up make a difference?

I hate the idea of raising the turn if I'm behind, which is why I raise most flops, but sometimes I think I lose bets this way, when players would keep betting a hand I am ahead of.

Bob T.
02-06-2004, 05:56 PM
You raised preflop, the pot is already midsized. You have onepair. Raise and give yourself the best chance to win.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

LetsRock
02-06-2004, 06:04 PM
The problem with Aces is that it's impossible to have a flop that is totaly uncoordinated. Try putting 2 cards down with an ace where there isn't some chance of a straight draw and the board isn't paired.

If the board were something like A93r, I might back off one bet. But I usually end up regretting it.

Vs. one opponent it's a whole other ballgame. The chances are fewer that the one hand against you works with the board, then there is if 3 or 4 players are still in - but he did bet! You can try to milk this a bit more, but in general, I follow the "win the small pot now" theory.

brian0729
02-06-2004, 08:34 PM
I agree with the rest, raise it here. You will get two bets out of loose callers and spades.

bisonbison
02-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Unless they called with 33, you're ahead of almost anyone who wouldn't 3-bet you preflop. K3? A3? Unlikely. Raise.

brian0729
02-06-2004, 08:54 PM
He is not concerned about being behind. He thinks he is ahead and wonders if raising now will knock out weaker hands that would call one bet.

Allan
02-06-2004, 09:11 PM
If he only calls he's gonna be laying 8:1, couple that with implied odds and there are a few hands that would be correct in calling trying to outdraw our hero.

Allan

brian0729
02-06-2004, 09:14 PM
I agree, see my first post. I was replying to bisonbison.

Catch of the Day
02-06-2004, 10:03 PM
A very similar situation arouse when I was playing 2/4 today. I played about a thousand hands at a very loose/passive table and I got in the habit of letting the calling stations goind ahead and keep calling. Reads help, Is your oponent going to call your raise if he has a draw? or is he capable of folding? I always tend to raise in these situations because most the time opponents who bet on there draws are going to call another bet anyway, and In situations where I dont raise, I usually wish that I did. I Flopped top two today in a capped flop and let two people bet into me, thought it was a good idea with the the reads I had, that is until one river a set of fours...I seem to go tiltish if I get my tp tk busted by a turned, or rivered two pair/set from an oponent I should pushed of his hand earlier. I dont know. Try to pick up the pot then if you think there is a chance, it will pay-out in the long run. And save you anguish.