PDA

View Full Version : Fold this flopped broadway when river pairs board?

steveyz
02-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Party Poker 3/6 (10 handed)
Hero has Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is Button

EP1 raises, MP2 3-bets, MP3 calls, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG folds, EP1 caps, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls

Flop(17 1/3 SB): J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif

EP1 bets, MP2 raises, MP3 calls, Hero calls, EP1 calls

Turn(12 2/3 BB): 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

EP1 checks, MP2 bets, MP3 raises, Hero calls, EP1 folds, MP2 calls

River(18 2/3 BB): K/images/graemlins/spade.gif

MP2 bets, MP3 raises, Hero ?????

-----------------------------------------------------

I normally muck AQs if i have to cold 3-bets, but this there had been a lot of light pf raises at this table and I was the button.

JTG51
02-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Let me get the action straight.

You called 3 cold preflop with AQs, flopped the nuts, didn't raise a single time, and want to fold on the river?

What does it take to get you to raise? You've got the best hand and multiple players willing to put multiple bets into the pot! Raise, raise, raise!

The preflop call is terrible. As for the river play, you are probably toast but you should call. Read Izmet's Furcoat Dilemma (http://slicer.headsupclub.com:3455/16/31) if you keep thinking about big river laydowns in big pots. Thanks to Ulysses for reminding about it.

dirty_dan
02-06-2004, 03:28 PM
I think I'd still fold preflop. Even though there's been some loose raises you could still easily be dominated.

Why do you keep calling? Raise that thing!

On the river you're probably beat but I can't lay it down.

jonnypigbutt
02-06-2004, 03:28 PM
No. Do not fold. You could very easily be up against AK, which you beat. Given the light PF raising standards, there are a number of other hands you could be up against.

The question is: why didn't you cap the turn? You have the absolute nuts here, plus the nut flush draw, and you undoubtedly are going to get all the action you want, given the betting.

sfer
02-06-2004, 03:32 PM
If you raised the flop and the turn you'd have a better sense of what the river bet and raise into you meant.

Without a strong read I think you have to call. With a strong read, I think you still have to call.

steveyz
02-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Latest I've noticed that my play might have been too straightforward. I'd ram and jam whenever I had anything close to the nuts and not bother to disguise my hand. But I figured that in this had I'd let MP1 & MP2 raise each other and I'd show up on the river, unless of course ... the board pairs ... which it did.

dirty_dan
02-06-2004, 03:50 PM
That's a great plan if they're capping it. But when there was a single raise on the flop you need to take the initiative on the turn.

And don't worry so much about disguising your nut hands. There's better places to do some advertising.

bernie
02-06-2004, 10:43 PM
ok...ill give ya the call on the flop. id raise, but...

why are you just calling the turn? i cant wait to hear the reasoning on this.

b

bernie
02-06-2004, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's better places to do some advertising.

[/ QUOTE ]

especially if he thinks that if the board pairs he will fold. why in the hell wait? cap the turn at least. you're hand may be very vulnerable here to a set. dont let them draw cheap. or HOPE they cap the turn. roll up your damn sleeves and get in there and bang away. make sure the bets go in. these hands dont come up often enough to let them off easy.

b

Mike Gallo
02-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Yzerman,

I have to agree with the rest of the posters here. You played this hand pretty bad.

Preflop, I would have folded.

On the flop I would have raised and capped.

On the turn I would have raised and capped.

On the river, I would have gotten in one raise.

You have the best hand.

Against opponents willing to pay you off, fire away. You will not flop the nuts often, when you do make sure you extract the maximum.

Save this post and come back to it in six months. Hopefully by then you will see how you cost yourself a few bets.

steveyz
02-06-2004, 11:56 PM
Simple, I was trying let my opponents do the raising for me and then I'd show up on the river. I thought MP1 would 3-bet the turn. On the river I was pretty sure I was beat, but I did call. One showed AK and one showed KJ for the boat.

steveyz
02-07-2004, 12:11 AM
Yes, pf I should have folded.

I think the best course of action here would have been to raise on the turn after the flop wasn't capped or 3-bet by my opponents.

Given the action, I don't think it would be wise to raise this river. Against 1 opponent I would have raised, since they could very well had AK. But against 2 opponents, one of which raised the turn, I felt fairly confident that I was beat. The only reasonable hands that I could beat that they might play this way is AA, AK and KQ and AA was not likely given the river action.

astroglide
02-07-2004, 01:12 AM
you misplayed this one BADLY. do not fold the river unless another 2 bets come back at you.