PDA

View Full Version : New card room visit (TR)

WalleyeJason
02-06-2004, 02:02 PM
So I had been playing online for 3 days straight and decided to get out of the house and go play in a live game. I went to a local card room near where I live to check out the games and see what they have to offer.

The Grove is a small card room/bar that has four tables and plenty of action. I walk in the back entrance and there is a table right inside the door. Almost immediately I feel like I’m smoking a cigarette there’s so much smoke in the room. They should be required to put a Surgeon General’s warning on the door much like a pack of cigarettes because I bet I smoked a pack secondhand in the short 3 hours I was there.

So I’m waiting for a seat to open at the only HE game going, 4-8 with a full kill.
There is a banister/rail behind the table that gives me a good view on the 3 seat and across the table. This guy Pete is sitting there, he seems to be known by all the staff and the players. I get a good vantage point of seeing his cards as he looks at them. The first hand I see him get is Q7 off. He’s in EP and limps and another player in MP makes a raise, and Pete calls. So I make a mental note that Pete is loose preflop and will call raises with crap hands.

I watch for like 10 minutes and realize that the game is super loose with 5-6 people seeing the flop and on occasion a family pot to boot. The 9 seat comes open and I buy in and put my seatbelt on. I pass on 6-7 hands and am raised out of my BB with 48 off. In the small blind I get AKs and make a raise and get 4 callers. I miss the flop, but decide to bet out, to see how far these guys will go. I get called by 3. Turn is a blank, and I check. Another very loose player named Gary bets, I check raise and Gary calls. The river brings a King, and I bet out, and Gary calls. I show my AK and Gary shows KT for 2 pair. He said he thought I had AA. Perfect, just what I wanted.

A few orbits later I’m in the BB with 76off and it’s a family pot and the SB raises. So I call and all call. Wow, I can’t believe the action. The flop is 452 rainbow. I check, Pete bets in EP and it’s called all the way around to me and I call. The turn is a 3c Perfect, I have the nuts, and anybody with an A or a 6 is most likely going to call the whole way down. This time I go for the check raise and of course it works perfectly as its bet and raised before it gets back to me, and of course I make it 3 bets and this pot is massive. The river comes and it’s an 8d. I bet out and am called in 4 spots. I lay down the 76 and scoop a monster.

In less than an hour I have tripled my original buy in. So I win a hand with Granny Mae when I flop top pair of Q with no kicker. And it stands up. And I take down another nice pot with ATc for 2 pair. Nothing exciting happens for me in the next hour. I’m getting some good hands like JJ 3 times but flopping over cards into a large field I fold after the flop all 3 times.

Ok for the hand of the night. This is a kill pot so its 8-16 this hand. I’m in the SB and I get QQ. There is 2 callers and a raise to me and I make it 24 to go preflop. All call.
The flop is 886 2 diamonds. I bet out and am raised by Pete. I’m pretty sure he’s got an 8 because he’s got a tattoo on his forehead that says “any two will do”. I decide to 3 bet it to make sure. And of course he caps it. We are heads up now, and quite a large pot. I’m pretty sure he’s got an 8 and I’m drawing slim but the turn brings another diamond. I know that I have the Qd because they were both red. And this time I check, he bets and I call. The river is another diamond. I decide to bet out here to see if he’s hit his kicker or if he’s just got the trips. He raises, and I think well, he’s got a boat, and I just call. He verbally announces that he’s got a full house. I’m about to muck my cards when the dealer says NO full house just 3 eights. I flipped over my QQ and the dealer shoves a very large pot my way.

It was like being in the zone, a very good feeling. I just wish a guy could bottle it and keep it on the shelf for the times when you were running bad.

I have to leave to pick up a friend, but I hope to make it back to the Grove.

Anyway, I just thought Id share.

Lottery Larry
02-06-2004, 04:27 PM
you may need all of that money to pay for your lung replacement if your description is right.

i am surprised that you called the cap on the flop after correctly putting him on an 8. Pot odds?