PDA

View Full Version : Home Game Road Trip

JTrout
02-06-2004, 11:36 AM
I was invited to play in a home game by a friend of a friend. They were having a NL tourney and were looking for participants. $100 buy-in. I can't wait.

I was told to meet one player at a quick stop, and follow him to the site. It's a good thing. The game was way out in the country, on a farm, in a barn! I parked my Honda in a pasture, among the pick-ups, dodged the cow patties, and entered with a little anxiety.

The first thing that hit me was that I wasn't wearing enough clothes. I had a thin jacket on, and it was freezing! Everyone has on boots, overalls, full coats, hats. No one mentioned the game would be outside!

A quick tour of the barn showed two tables in two very small rooms, with chips pre-sorted, refreshments, and HEATERS! Thank God!

In the room I played, their was an old western theme that was very cool. Old wild west guns, tools, etc. I felt like I was dropped into a farmers game in Dodge, Kansas -1860!

The food offered was awesome! A pot of chili. A pot of red beans & rice. Sweets. Sweet.

11 players put up $100, and we began. 50 chips. 2-4 blinds. 4-8 blinds after 30 minutes. This is gonna be quick! But they will continue to play after the tourney.

Good news and bad news. Good news, I finished second and won $330. Bad news, the winner was also a first-timer to this game. 9 regulars, 2 newbies. There goes my invite back!

So I played 4-8 limit w/ a kill afterwards. And the cards ran me over! Playing 5 handed, and up $230 to start (from tourney), I had hoped to just sit and stay about even, maybe even give a little back, and get invited back! I never check-raised, I played more hands than I should've, and I raised about 1/3 the times I should.

But every flush hit, every AJ paired, every 44 was good! I had over half the chips on the table, and $300 in cash buried under them!

The last couple of hours the cards cooled off, I lost $200 back, and they players told me they play every week, and they'd like me to come back.

I was concerned that although many of the players invited me back, the owner of the place, and game, was mum. We'll see what happens.

Although the first 10 minutes of meeting everyone in a new environment was a little intimidating, everyone there was extremely friendly. A bunch of real good 'ole boys. not one dispute all night, and everyone seemed to have a good time.

Sure hope I get to do it again!