PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer Update

ChipWrecked
02-06-2004, 11:17 AM
Two days ago installed the 'critical' update of Internet Explorer. The main effect I see is that all my protection has been stripped away, and I've been invaded by all kinds of adware and spyware. I think MS has taken a payoff on this one.

It's taken me over an hour and I'm still putting Google toolbar back in, and deleting the crap (PestPatrol found 61 pests so far, up from usually one or two).

If you haven't put this update on yet, be prepared for a nasty shock when you boot back up. If you decide to install it at all.

Linux is looking more and more appealing...

Terry
02-06-2004, 02:19 PM
Take a look at http://www.mozilla.org/.

I use the Firebird version and never see popups.

drewjustdrew
02-06-2004, 02:43 PM
I just had similar issues. Planning on fixing when I get home from work today. Go to computercops.biz and ask experts in their forum section under Spyware-hijack issues. They will ask you to download HijackThis (free). You give them a log from this software and they tell you what to delete. These guys seem to be microsoft experts. Hopefully it will work for me.

Those spybot and adaware don't seem to get to the root cause in these cases. They just get rid of some of the symptoms temporarily.

Schmed
02-06-2004, 03:49 PM
where did you get that update????

If you got it via email it's a scam/virus. Get hijack this and got to any number of tech forums and they can help you out. I go to http://www.helponthe.net/ . It's free and the people there will help you with any issues.

Set your windows up to download updates automatically. Then never open attachments from someone that you don't know, even if they say they're microsoft.

LetsRock
02-06-2004, 05:31 PM
I got the message when I opened the browser yesterday. I installed it last night just before I shut down and havn't rebooted yet.

Guess I'm not much looking forward to booting up when I get home. I hate Microsoft.

ChipWrecked
02-06-2004, 05:36 PM
This was the automatic Windows update. I call it 'critical' because of all the press it got, how we were browbeaten into believing we needed this new patch right away.

drewjustdrew
02-06-2004, 05:41 PM
I just fixed mine. See my other message on this thread. computercops.biz.

So far so good.

Good luck.

LetsRock
02-09-2004, 11:06 AM
I didn't notice any problem after the update.