PDA

View Full Version : Got lost on the turn with two pair

TriciaToyota
02-06-2004, 11:07 AM
In my still limited experience the following hand has been the one that most put a knot in my stomach. It emphasized that I don't really know how to play two pair or deal with really aggressive opponents when I have a hand.

Having not been at the table long I don't have any good reads other than EP1 played pocket 6s very aggressively, raising PF, betting every round, and rivering a set on a 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif-2/images/graemlins/heart.gif-J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif-A/images/graemlins/club.gif-6/images/graemlins/heart.gif board. Seemed a little reckless to me but what do I know (came back the next hand and rivered a boat with AQs.)

Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed)
Hero has A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif and is BB

EP1 limps, MP2 limps, Button folds, SB limps, Hero checks

Flop(4 SB): 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, Hero bets, EP1 calls, MP2 raises, SB folds, Hero calls, EP1 calls

Should I have re-raised here? MP2's raise here sort of took me by surprise and I started thinking pocket 8s.

Turn(7 BB): K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, EP1 bets, MP2 raises, Hero calls, EP1 3-bets, MP2 calls, Hero calls

Here I think it's pretty clear I'm at a loss as to how to react. Was folding after MP2's raise the obvious play? The calls are truely embarrassing. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

River(16 BB): Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, EP1 bets, MP2 raises, Hero folds, EP1 3-bets, MP2 calls

By now AA, KK, AK, AQ, 88, flushes and straights are too much to bear and I jump ship.

chesspain
02-06-2004, 12:00 PM
PF: Fine

Flop: This is an auto three-bet! I would not put MP on a set just because of his raise. He could easily be playing something like AT-AQ. Reraise and see how he responds.

Turn: Since I'm not assuming that you are behind, you need to bet out here. I'm not that concerned about EP1's betting here, unless you think he openlimped pre-flop with KK, AA, or AK. He could easily have just turned two-pair with K8s/K4s. Furthermore, the fact that MP did not cap the turn makes me doubt that he has a set.

River: The fact that you refused to bet out on the turn or river leaves you clueless about where you stand. It is difficult for me to believe that EP1 was pumping a three-way turn with only a draw. In addition, unless either one plays really weak pre-flop, I still can't put either one on AA, KK, QQ, AK, or even AQ. In addition, based upon the flop action, I can't put either one on JT or a flush draw. I think if you are losing, it probably is to 44 or 88.

By betting out on the river, especially after only checkcalling the turn, you might have given your opponents cause for pause. You might have gotten to close the action for 1-2 bets, and if it is raised and three-bet after you then you can safely fold.

Ric
02-06-2004, 12:17 PM
PF ok
Flop: Reraise here! You may drive out EP1, who doesn't come to life until the turn. You also have a good shot of holding the best hand. A single raise could just mean Ax, like AT or something.
Turn: Bet out. K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif is not a scare card for you. You would have heard from AK or KK 90% of the time preflop by now.
River: Continue betting. I wouldn't worry about the flush.

I think your biggest mistake was this hand was you never really knew where you were. If you reraised or bet out after others started raising, you'd have a better idea how strong their hands are.

PokerNoob
02-06-2004, 05:00 PM
You may want to consider a flop checkraise. Then don't take your foot off the gas until somebody raises your turn bet.

TriciaToyota
02-07-2004, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the replies. Realizing that my lack of intel gathering on the flop might have contributed to not knowing exactly what to do on the turn is a good perspective shift. Imagine my horror when EP1 showed K/images/graemlins/heart.gif8/images/graemlins/spade.gif and MP2 A/images/graemlins/spade.gif4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif