PDA

View Full Version : 72o in the BB with short stack

tvdad
02-06-2004, 07:14 AM
Paradise NL HE multi-table tourney. Pays top 20, there are 50 players left. Blinds are T200/400 with a T25 ante. I'm in the BB and just posted T425 of my T510 short stack. Oh goody, I get dealt 72o. This has been a pretty tight table, but now UTG raises the minimum and gets 3 callers. What the heck do I do? I will have to get insanely lucky to beat any of those 4 hands, but can I just toss off all my chips like that and hope for a good all-in with 85 measly chips in the SB? Or is this just one of those times where I have to put all my chips in the pot, close my eyes and pray for a miracle?

I wound up calling, and hit nothing. I was up against AKs, QQ, the third guy folded but said he had 77, and the fourth guy folded and kept quiet.

T

The Prince
02-06-2004, 09:07 AM
tvdad,

simply put: it sucks!

But you have to call. Folding is not an option. You've put more than 80% of your stack in this hand, there's no coming back.

Nicolas Fradet (The Prince)

M.B.E.
02-06-2004, 09:39 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
I wound up calling, and hit nothing. I was up against AKs, QQ, the third guy folded but said he had 77, and the fourth guy folded and kept quiet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha, your pot equity was less than 4%. But that's only because two of your sevens were dead. Give the guy eights instead of sevens and your pot equity is about 8.5%. But the other players are not all in, so there's a possibility the "best hand at the river" will have to fold on the flop or turn, which increases your pot equity somewhat. Ignoring that factor, if you call your last T85 the main pot will be T2550, of which your equity is T217 (using the 8.5% figure). Since that's more than the T85 you'd have if you folded, you should call. If it were close to the money then you could fold here despite your pot equity.