PDA

View Full Version : Straight draw with 2 suited cards on the flop

Hallett
02-06-2004, 05:41 AM
6-12 game at my local B&M
Most of the players are predictable, but there are a couple of loose callers who play reasonably well after the flop. One in particular, who today is SB, beat my KK the other day with K-3 suited. Got one 3 on the flop, and another on the turn.

I am BB and am dealt 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. No raise pre-flop, with I believe 6 callers.

Flop is 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I have an open ender! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

SB checks, I check with the intention of raising, middle position player I don't know well, all fold to the SB who checkraises.....

I call, MP calls.

Turn: T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I have the straight, but I remember the K-3 suited from last week... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

SB checks, I check, MP checks.

River: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB Checks again (?)
I bet, MP calls and SB calls.

Results in a while, all comments appreciated.

Hallett
02-06-2004, 06:23 AM
I thought SB likely had two diamonds for the turned flush. I figured his check on the turn was to check-raise.

BUT

His check on the river was not likely to be a re-try of the check raise, so I bet out, and both called. I had to open first, and nobody showed their cards, so MHIG.

**Does anyone bet the turn? Or did I do this right? Is there anyone out there who would re-raise the flop? Not that I would, I am just curious).

Please, all thoughts and comments..

HUSKER'66
02-06-2004, 07:23 AM
I think you played it fine. Sometimes it's not bad to have fears of goblins in the closet. It's good that you have a read on your opponents, and it's okay to be cautious in this case. That being said I might have risked leading out on the turn to see exactly where I was at. Your SB probably checkraised on the flop with a ragged Kings,(K/? off) and was trying to scare you and the MP off the pot. By betting out, you not only establish where your at, you in turn might scare them with a flush card. It all depends on your comfort level and your image at the table. You missed a bet, but with the check from the SB on the river, you can feel confident that you have the best hand. Good bet on the river and congrats on taking a 9+ BB pot.

The Dude
02-06-2004, 08:49 AM
Your "check-call two cold" means one of two things to me. (1) I flopped a set, and am slowplaying it, or (2) I am on a draw. Now, betting on the turn has announced your hand (since both reasonable draws just made it, and they're still behind even if you only have a set). This is one reason you should probably fold this hand on the flop. Another is that your T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif may not be good. You really only had 6 clean outs on the flop, and you were getting less than 5-1 to call (even worse if MP re-raises).

Bet the turn. Even though it's possible there is already a flush out there, I certainly don't want to give a free card to somebody with just one /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Your river bet is fine. Call if raised.

LetsRock
02-06-2004, 11:55 AM
I guess my play on this hand would have been based a lot on my table image at the time.

If I had a tight "never bluff's" image, I would have bet out, because I would then have a real good feel for what a raise meant.

If I've been busted (trying to buy) a few times or running bad, I probably would have checked through and called it down (unless the board 4 flushes on the river) because a raise (or c/r) on the turn could mean anything.

Hallett
02-06-2004, 09:03 PM
I got a lot out of your posts. I think next time this happens, I would bet the turn. I think it could go either way, but I like the idea of putting pressure on the flop raiser. His K-3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif the other day may have been a "play any A or any K" philosophy, so betting into him on the turn might have been smart.

Thanks all!

bunky9590
02-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Not bad, not fantastic, but not bad.

I bet the turn there, for value. No way am I giving a lone Diamond a free card. If I get raised, then I make that decision from there.

Look as far as the drawing at the straight with two suited cards, I'll do it as long as the third flush card isnt there. (I don't want the possibility of drawing dead)

In this case you made your hand and were afraid to bet it.
Could they have a flush? Sure. Did they? Don't think so.

Betting in this circumstance is something you are going to have to learn to do as you move up. Get some value for that straight.

River bet is mandantory.