PDA

View Full Version : Heads up blind war

TheRake
02-06-2004, 01:26 AM
Opponent in this hand is a definate fish, but has been pretty passive until this hand. (83% vpip 6% pfr)

Party Poker 1/2 (10 handed)
TheRake has A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif and is BB

Button folds, SB limps, TheRake raises, SB 3-bets, TheRake calls

Flop(6 SB): 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB bets, TheRake raises, SB 3-bets, TheRake caps, SB calls

Turn(7 BB): 2/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB bets, TheRake raises, SB 3-bets, TheRake calls (I got scared /images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

River(13 BB): T/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB bets, TheRake calls

I'll post results later so no one can cheat /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Comments?

TheRake

Trix
02-06-2004, 01:38 AM
Dont think you can slow down earlier.

thirddan
02-06-2004, 02:21 AM
Im guessing based on description of opponent that he either has AA/AK/TT, ...I would have slowed down on the turn and probaby just called him down...Agression from a very passive player is usually a lot of strength and not overplaying a hand...

HajiShirazu
02-06-2004, 02:40 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he had KK or A3. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Anyway I would have to slow down on the turn against all but total maniacs.

ike
02-06-2004, 03:26 AM
Cap preflop, then it will actually tell you something when sb bets out on the flop, right now you look like you've been caught stealing going into the flop. Still raise a bet on the flop, but call a 3bet and go into calldown mode.

me454555
02-06-2004, 03:35 AM
Lets look at the facts:

SB limp, reraises pf (I smell something fishy, smells like bullets)

Flop: You cap this. Usually when someone 3-bets you on the flop, you up against a set or a big draw. Since theres no draw on the board, I'm gonna go w/set

Turn: After you capped the flop, he still bet into you. Its time to retreat and admit defeat.

Hes got a set or better or else hes the biggest maniac in the world. Since your read on the guy is passive, I'm guess you ran up against AA. 2nd guess is TT.

Trix
02-06-2004, 03:44 AM
I think it can be fishy in 2 ways ~~
Either he has something strong or he just hates that you raises when he just spend a half small bet calling, so now he wanna tell you that you should stop taking his blind money like that!!! Or he wants to outplay you cuz he have seen you bet draws and dont understand why.

TheRake
02-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the comments

SB showed Q6o /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have to admit he had me a little baffled. I couldn't quite figure out what he would limp re-raise BTF, but I assumed it was a big pair JJ-AA, or a pure bluff. When the A flopped I really felt I was ahead, but he never slowed down. I started to think maybe he had A3s. There was no way I was laying down TPTK. I actually considered raising the river because I thought the T might be a good card for me. In the end I just decided to call.

TheRake

Trix
02-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Haha, the second kind of fishy I guess /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Zetack
02-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Wow, Q-6 off hunh? hard to fathom. I thought he probably had two pair (I was thinking A-3) but that he might just have a small ace (without pairing his kicker) and was so aggressive because he figured you were trying to bluff him off his hand.... Q-6 hunh?

--Zetack

Nate tha' Great
02-06-2004, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the comments

SB showed Q6o /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have to admit he had me a little baffled. I couldn't quite figure out what he would limp re-raise BTF, but I assumed it was a big pair JJ-AA, or a pure bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he wants to maximize his EV on just the one hand in question*, and he has a monster, limp reraising doesn't make a lot of sense. AA, KK, QQ etc are extremely strong hands in heads up play, so strong that his best strategy is probably to keep you around for as long as he can for multiple bets on the turn/river. He'd like, ideally, to *underrepresent* his hand for as long as he can, whereas the limp-r/r, by indicating strength, would serve to push you off the hand earlier. So I think this move will usually be made as a bluff, or with a vulnerable hand that would rather win without seeing a showdown.

Basically, I don't give limp r/raises against Party players a lot of credit when there are three or fewer players to the flop.

me454555
02-06-2004, 06:35 PM
The limp reraise by itself may not necessarily mean AA but combined w/his betting on the turn, I think you safely make that read.